Every email client renders your campaign's HTML code in a different way, so it's helpful to know which clients your subscribers use most often. MailChimp tracks this for you in your List Stats.
Use this information to test content and layout with Inbox Preview, and experiment with different styles. For instance, try to design a campaign exclusively for web browser email clients, and another for subscribers who use Outlook's desktop application.
In this article, you'll learn how to find your list's top email clients, and send campaigns targeted to those email clients.
Before You Start
- MailChimp uses open tracking to detect subscribers' email clients, which relies on images. Because of this, we can't find email client information for subscribers who disable images.
- We track email client usage for each list in your account. As you send more campaigns to the list, you'll see more email client results in the List Stats.
Find a List's Top Email Clients
To find the top email clients for your list, follow these steps.
Find A Subscriber's Favorite Email Client
If you have an important VIP on your list, you may want to find out what email client they prefer. To find a subscriber's favorite email client in their contact profile, follow these steps.
- Search for your subscriber's email address.
- Click the subscriber's name to open their profile.
- We'll display their favorite email client under the Other heading in the lower-right corner of their profile.
If a favorite email client isn't listed, either your subscriber hasn't opened an email campaign yet, or their email client blocks images by default, which interferes with our tracking.
Use Segments to Target Email Clients
If your subscribers prefer a specific email client, like Gmail on desktop, you may want to design a campaign that's tailored for that scenario. After you've designed the campaign and tested it with Inbox Preview, target Gmail users with a segment.
To set up a campaign segment based on email client, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
- Click the name of the campaign you want to work with, or create a new one.
- In the To section of the Campaign Builder, click Add Recipients.
- In the List drop-down menu, choose a list.
- In the Segment drop-down menu, choose Group or new segment.
- For the first condition, set the drop-down menus to Email client | is | Gmail.
After you choose the criteria, we'll display the number of subscribers in the segment.
- Click Save.
- Continue building your campaign.