Mailchimp for Mixpanel helps you make smarter marketing decisions when you connect your app to Mixpanel’s behavioral data, enabling a communications-powered holistic look at your customer’s activities. Mixpanel is a product analytics solution that helps you understand how customers interact with your web and mobile applications so you can improve your products.
In this article, you’ll learn how to connect and disconnect Mailchimp for Mixpanel.
Before You Start
- This integration requires a Mixpanel account.
- It's helpful to already have a cohort set up on Mixpanel.
How it works
The Mixpanel integration syncs contacts from Mixpanel into your Mailchimp audience and maps cohort information to Mailchimp tags. When you define a cohort in Mixpanel, you can use it to group and filter data and ultimately target groups of users with your Mailchimp campaigns.
In addition, you can also opt to sync campaign and event information from Mailchimp to your Mixpanel cohort. The following events are supported:
- Sent To
Campaigns sync once each day; events sync every 30 minutes.
Renaming or removing a cohort that has already been synced to a Mailchimp audience does not affect the original tags assigned to the members. To remove those tags, you should remove the members from the cohort before renaming or deleting the cohort.
Connect Mailchimp for Mixpanel
To connect your Mailchimp and Mixpanel accounts, follow these steps.
- Navigate to Mailchimp for Mixpanel.
- Click Connect Now.
- Click Authorize.
- Enter your Mailchimp ID and password, and then click Login.
- Review the connection tips and click Allow to connect Mixpanel to Mailchimp.
- On the Initial Settings page, select the Mailchimp audience you want to sync your Mixpanel contacts with.
Review the merge settings for the fields associated with the audience you selected and choose whether to mark contacts imported from Mixpanel as subscribed. You should only select this option if you have obtained permission from your contacts to send marketing emails to them.
- Choose Copy to copy the API key.
- In a new tab or window, navigate to Mixpanel.
- From the Data Management menu, choose Integrations.
- Scroll to the Mailchimp integration and click it to expand.
- Click Connect.
- In the pop-up modal, paste the API key you copied earlier and click Continue.
- Choose Cohort and review your list of cohorts.
- For the cohort you want to sync with your Mailchimp audience, right-click the (...) icon and select Export to and Mailchimp from the cascading menu.
- Choose whether to you want a one-time or a dynamic sync and click Begin sync.
- Return to the Sync Data into your Mailchimp Account page in the Mailchimp Mixpanel integration. If you only want to sync your Mixpanel cohort to your Mailchimp audience, click Go To Dashboard. Your dashboard will show the status of your cohort sync to Mailchimp.
To sync Mailchimp campaigns and events to your Mixpanel cohort, click Next.
In a separate tab or window, open your Mixpanel account. Click the Settings icon and then choose your Project Settings.
Scroll to Access Keys and copy the Project Token.
Return to the Mailchimp Mixpanel integration page. Paste your Project Token in the Mixpanel Token Key field and click Save.
Select the Campaign Events you want to sync to your Mixpanel cohort and click Save.
Click Go to Dashboard
That's it! Your dashboard shows the sync status of your cohort and campaign.
After you connect your Mixpanel account to Mailchimp, check out how to work with tags with the following guide:
When you disconnect Mixpanel from your Mailchimp audience, all Mixpanel data will also be removed from your account.
To disconnect Mixpanel, follow these steps.
- On the left menu of the Mixpanel integration, click Integration Settings.
- Click Disconnect.