Tags are the easiest way to keep your list organized and label contacts based on information you have about them. There are a few ways to target contacts based on tag data. You can do this from within your list or when you create a campaign.
In this article, you'll learn how to send to tagged contacts in your list.
Tags are taking the place of static segments in MailChimp. If you previously created static segments, we’ll automatically convert them to tags for you, and you'll find them on the Tags page in your list. Don’t worry, you'll still be able to send to your newly-minted tags just like you always have.
We still have regular list segments that automatically update as contacts meet the criteria you choose. And guess what? Now you can segment based on tag data!
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- You need to have at least one tag that is assigned to contacts in your list.
- Make sure you're familiar with tags and segments.
- You can target your tagged contacts with emails or social ads.
- You can target up to 5 tags at a time.
- To target tags with a social ad, you need to have at least 100 contacts on your list.
From the List View
To send a campaign to tagged contacts on the list view, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page in your account.
- Click the name of your list.
- Click the Filter by Tags drop-down menu and choose the tag you want to send to. To filter by more tags, click the Filtered By Tags drop-down menu and choose another tag. You can filter by up to 5 tags at a time.
- Click the Send Campaign drop-down menu, and choose the type of campaign you want to send. You can send a regular email campaign, an ad, or an ad to similar contacts.
- Continue through the Campaign or Ad Builder to create and distribute your campaign.
Awesome! Repeat this process to target more tagged contacts.
From the Campaign Builder
There are a couple of options for sending to tagged contacts directly from the Campaign Builder, depending on how many tags you want to target.
You can choose any tag in your list directly from the Campaign Builder. When you select your audience or recipients, choose the list you want to work with, then click the drop-down menu to choose from your tags, then click Save. The drop-down may vary slightly depending on the type of campaign you’re creating.
After you’ve chosen your audience or recipients, click the recipient count to view the contacts included.
To create a segment from the Campaign Builder to target tags in your list, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the To section of the Campaign Builder.
- Click the List drop-down menu and choose the list you want to work with.
- Click the Tag or Segment drop-down menu and choose Group or new segment.
- Choose your segmentation conditions. Click the Any drop-down to set the logic for your segment. Any will return contacts that have one one of the tags you specify, and All will only return contacts to have all of the tags you specify. Each tag you specify counts as 1 condition, and you can have up to 5. Click Update Recipient Count to see how many contacts meet your segmentation criteria.
- When you’re done, click Save and continue through the Campaign Builder.
Nice work! You can use these steps any time you want to target multiple tags from the Campaign Builder.
With a Saved Segment
You can also further target contacts by creating reusable, saved segments based on tag data. For example, you might want to target contacts from more than one tag, or combine tag data with other information you have about your contacts.