Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.
Each Mailchimp audience comes with an associated signup form, which you can customize and share on your website and other networks. Forms use a single or double opt-in setting that determines what steps are taken before a contact is subscribed to your email marketing.
In this article, you'll learn how to choose opt-in settings for your audience.
- Opt-in settings only apply to Mailchimp signup forms, so form integrations and API opt-in are unaffected.
Mailchimp audiences are single opt-in by default: Someone fills out and submits your form and they're added to your audience as a subscribed contact right away. Double opt-in requires that people confirm their signup via email. Both methods are easy and secure options for growing your audience, it's just a matter of deciding which one works best for your needs.
- If your primary contact address is in the EU, some of your audiences may be double opt-in. If you prefer to use single opt-in, you can make that change in each audience's settings or on the Opt-In Settings page.
For a new audience
When you create a new audience in Mailchimp, you'll need to choose the opt-in setting you want to use for its associated signup forms.
To use double opt-in for a new audience, be sure to enable it in the form settings. Check the box next to Enable double opt-in to send the opt-in confirmation email each time someone signs up to your email marketing. Leave the box unchecked to keep your audience single opt-in and add new subscribers right away.
For an existing audience
You can change the opt-in settings for an existing audience at any time. Just visit the audience's settings.
To change a audience's opt-in settings, follow these steps.
- Click the Audience icon.
- Click Audience dashboard.
- If you have more than one audience, click the Current audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with.
- Click the Manage Audience drop-down and choose Settings.
- Click Audience name and defaults.
- Under Form Settings, check or uncheck the box next to Enable double opt-in as needed.
- Click Save Audience and Campaign Defaults.
For multiple audiences
If you have multiple audiences to update, you can make changes globally on the Opt-In Settings page. Apply the same opt-in settings to all of your audiences, or use a mix of opt-in methods.
To choose opt-in settings for multiple audiences, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the list of audiences.
- Click Opt-In Settings.
- Check the box next to each audience you want to use double opt-in.
The boxes next to audiences you want to be single opt-in should remain unchecked.
- Click Save.