Each Mailchimp audience comes with an associated signup form, which you can customize and share on your website and other networks. Forms use a single or double opt-in setting that determines what steps are taken before a contact is subscribed to your email marketing.
In this article, you'll learn how to choose opt-in settings for your audience.
- Opt-in settings only apply to Mailchimp signup forms, so form integrations and API opt-in are unaffected.
Mailchimp audiences are single opt-in by default: Someone fills out and submits your form and they're added to your audience as a subscribed contact right away. Double opt-in requires that people confirm their signup via email. Both methods are easy and secure options for growing your audience, it's just a matter of deciding which one works best for your needs.
- If your primary contact address is in the EU, some of your audiences may be double opt-in. If you prefer to use single opt-in, you can make that change in each audience's settings or on the Opt-In Settings page.
For a new audience
When you create a new audience in Mailchimp, you'll need to choose the opt-in setting you want to use for its associated signup forms.
To use double opt-in for a new audience, be sure to enable it in the form settings. Check the box next to Enable double opt-in to send the opt-in confirmation email each time someone signs up to your email marketing. Leave the box unchecked to keep your audience single opt-in and add new subscribers right away.
For an existing audience
You can change the opt-in settings for an existing audience at any time. Just visit the audience's settings.
To change a audience's opt-in settings, follow these steps.
- Click the Audience icon.
- Click Audience dashboard.
- If you have more than one audience, click the Current audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with.
- Click the Manage Audience drop-down and choose Settings.
- Click Audience name and defaults.
- Under Form Settings, check or uncheck the box next to Enable double opt-in as needed.
- Click Save Audience and Campaign Defaults.
For multiple audiences
If you have multiple audiences to update, you can make changes globally on the Opt-In Settings page. Apply the same opt-in settings to all of your audiences, or use a mix of opt-in methods.
To choose opt-in settings for multiple audiences, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the list of audiences.
- Click Opt-In Settings.
- Check the box next to each audience you want to use double opt-in.
The boxes next to audiences you want to be single opt-in should remain unchecked.
- Click Save.