Abiding by the recommended social media image sizes doesn't only ensure that your Instagram post size is appropriate and the best quality resolution possible, but it'll also help you to streamline the process of creating content. The more comfortable you are with formatting guidelines, the easier it'll be to appeal to those you intend to reach.
A few reasons why Instagram formatting matters while establishing a brand and building credibility include:
- First impressions: When it comes to social media, you typically only have one opportunity to make a positive first impression on prospective followers and customers. An Instagram page that appears streamlined and professional is much more likely to attract new followers and potential customers.
- Quality: Along the lines of making a positive impression, the quality of your images and videos can mean the difference between failure and success on social media.
- Competition: Instagram is home to billions of active users from around the world, making it one of the most popular and competitive platforms today. Setting yourself apart from your competition is only possible with proper formatting and high-quality content.
- Branding: Establishing and building a successful business requires more than a sought-after product or service. Using the same formatting and art style on your Instagram videos and photos can go a long way towards solidifying a professional reputation for your brand online and off.
Formatting tips for Instagram
Once you're comfortable with how Instagram works and the recommended Instagram dimensions for your posts, you can begin formatting your own photos and videos for the world to see. Before you start sharing your posts on the platform, here are a few formatting tips:
- Aspect ratio: Keep the post size and aspect ratio of the content you intend to share in mind, whether you're using Instagram to share video media or traditional images and graphics.
- Write caption copy elsewhere: Copy and paste the messaging you intend to share in your Instagram post, rather than using the app itself. The Instagram app has many issues when it comes to spacing and formatting, which can make your post difficult to read once you publish it live.
- Create goals: Consider your goals for each post you intend to upload to Instagram. Are you trying to attract new followers to your account, or are you more interested in referring users to your official website or e-commerce store with your photos and videos?
- Use bullet points and symbols: Using a bullet point or various symbols, such as check marks or relevant emoji icons, can help convey a message without bogging down your followers. Using bullets and icons can also help break up lengthier posts, making them much easier to skim and read.
- Avoid using emoji icons in empty spaces: Don't place emoji icons in breakpoints of your post copy. Instead, use them within a sentence or as a bullet.
- Communication style: Consider the voice and tone you'll use to build your brand on Instagram. Consistency is key when communicating with your audience directly on social media. If your page appears too corporate, robotic, or disconnected from its followers, it's less likely to perform optimally.
- Hashtags: When using any social media platform, incorporate relevant hashtags that can generate buzz and garner more followers. If you're unsure about which hashtags are most appropriate for your business and brand, conduct research using the Instagram platform to explore more of your competitors.
Grow your Instagram with high-quality content
With high-quality, relevant, and interesting content, quickly grow your Instagram account to promote your business, brand, or services and products. Using great graphics, photos, animations, and videos with the proper dimensions can make all of the difference when generating a following of your own.
With Mailchimp, discover how to manage your Instagram posts and marketing campaigns to optimize your social media presence and maximize your online reach. Schedule your posts in advance, run targeted ads, and connect with your audience with our suite of social media marketing tools.