How to create thought leadership content
Creating thought leadership content with curated content, social media channels, and even newsletter promotions can help establish any brand as authoritative and trustworthy.
However, creating thought leadership content is not the same as creating simple evergreen content or content that is designed to fit in with the latest trends or memes.
Knowing how to differentiate your thought leadership content from traditional marketing copy is key to a successful campaign, whether you are managing a large brand or a small eCommerce store.
Identify your target audience
Before you can begin crafting thought leadership articles, you will first need to identify your target audience and the demographics you intend to reach. Identifying demographics ahead of time can help to save time while also reducing the amount you spend on promoting the thought leadership articles you create. Identifying your target audience is possible by considering the following factors:
- Gender: Are you targeting a particular gender to increase overall engagement?
- Age: What age range are you interested in reaching?
- Location: Are you interested in targeting entire cities and states, or particular neighborhoods?
- Income: Will you be honing in on individuals based on their income level and the existing price point(s) of your own products and/or services?
- Interests: Are you interested in the hobbies of your users? If so, will you be using platforms such as Facebook Ads to target individuals by 'Liked' pages and specific interests?
Choose a topic
Select a topic that is most likely to resonate with your audience. Consider the demographics you are targeting and the type of issue or trend that is most likely to attract the attention of your followers or potential customers.
Conduct adequate research on the topic(s) you intend to share. Ensure that any information you collect is well-sourced and that found sources can be published for all to see.
Develop a unique perspective
If you are looking to increase sales and lead generation, you will need to develop your own strategy and a unique perspective on the topic(s) you intend to cover.
This is especially important if you are interested in ensuring that the topics you cover resonate on a deeply personal level with your target audience. Having a unique perspective can help to establish any business as authoritative while also working as a conversation starter and as an engagement increase booster.
Create compelling content
When crafting content for a thought leadership content strategy, it's important to do so by being as compelling, interesting, and unique as possible.
Creating informative content that cannot be found elsewhere is another way to establish your brand as an authoritative go-to source. If a user is unable to find the content they are looking for anywhere else online, they are much more likely to return to your website in the future or refer it to others that they know your way.
Promote and distribute your content
When it comes to content marketing, knowing how to effectively promote and distribute your content is half the battle. Even if you create the most compelling content available on the net, it may never take off or receive the views and clicks it deserves without a proper marketing and distribution strategy in place.
Knowing how to properly promote and distribute your content goes a long way when it comes to establishing any business or brand as a thought leader today. Some of the most common channels to consider sharing thought leadership content on include:
- Newsletters: Using newsletters (locally and online) to promote thought leadership content is a great way to establish any business or brand, regardless of your current industry.
- Social media: The use of social media is another way to quickly build your brand as authoritative and trustworthy. Social media platforms include Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Snapchat, and even TikTok, depending on the target demographics you are trying to reach as a thought leader.
- Official website: Using your official website is one of the best locations to share thought leadership content. Launching your own unique blog or using the homepage of your website can help top search engines such as Google, Yahoo!, and Bing to successfully crawl your website.
- Use hashtags and follow trends: Keep up with the latest relevant trends on your preferred social media platforms when promoting your latest thought leadership articles. Be sure to implement relevant hashtags that are also most likely to resonate with those who have a genuine interest in learning more about your business or brand.
- Post consistently: Whether you choose to create a regular newsletter or promote your thought leadership content via social media, be sure to do so on a consistent basis. Consistency is one of the most important elements involved in any successful thought content marketing strategy, both online and off.