Customer Journey rules determine a contact's pace and path in your journey map. Use if/else branching rules in your Customer Journey map so contacts follow different paths depending on the conditions you set. This is useful to send different marketing material to contacts based on specific audience data, campaign activity, or other segmentation options.
In this article, you’ll learn how to use if/else rules.
Before you start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- If/else rules require a Standard marketing plan or higher. To find out what features are included in each of our Marketing plans, check out our pricing page.
- To learn more about Customer Journeys, how they work, and what you can do with your plan, check out About Customer Journeys.
- If an if/else rule is based on whether contacts interacted with a previous email in the customer journey, we recommend you precede it with a minimum 4-hour time delay rule to give people time to open and click.
Add an if/else rule
If/else rules create different paths for contacts in your journey map. For example, add an if/else rule to send contacts down different branches of your journey based on whether they opened a specific email.
To add an if/else rule to a journey map, follow these steps.
- Hover over the plus icon (+) on the step where you want the branch to occur, then click Add a journey point.
- In the action panel, click If/Else.
- Use the drop-down menus to choose the conditions contacts must meet to move down the Yes path. You can add up to 5 conditions to your branch.
- Click Save.
Well done! Repeat these steps to add additional if/else rules in your journey map as needed.