How to scrub your email list
Let's go through the process of cleaning your email lists.
Identify and remove all problematic email addresses
Cleaning your email list begins with pinpointing and eliminating all problematic and potentially harmful email addresses. This can be achieved either manually or by using specialized email marketing tools.
The following types of emails should be specifically targeted for removal from your list:
- Email addresses with an incorrect format, syntax structure, or domain name: Email verification services can assist in identifying these types of email addresses.
- Email addresses with no legitimate mailbox: An email verification service can also check to see if a mailbox exists and is able to receive emails.
- Bounced email addresses: Ensure the validity of your email list by conducting an audit for bounced emails. Use email marketing software or send a test email to a select group of addresses and monitor the bounce rate.
- Catch-all email addresses: Catch-all email addresses accept any email sent to them, regardless of whether the email address is valid or not. Use a catch-all email checker to remove them from your list.
- Spam email addresses: Never buy email lists. The quality of purchased email lists is often poor, containing spam traps and other problematic email addresses. Look for spam traps in your email list using a spam trap checker. Eliminate your chance of being blacklisted by internet service providers by scrubbing them off your list.
Re-engage inactive subscribers
Before purging your email list of inactive subscribers, consider implementing a re-engagement campaign to revitalize their interest in your products or services. After all, it's more beneficial to have a larger audience and wider reach.
Single out your less-active or disengaged subscribers, and show them you miss them with special discounts and perks. You can even consider winning them back with a free gift.
If you want to further stimulate engagement and keep these subscribers interested in your business, start asking for feedback and linking to your social media accounts in your emails as well, if you haven’t already.
Identify and remove inactive subscribers
Sometimes your email subscribers just need a little nudge to be active again. However, if they are still inactive after your re-engagement campaign, consider parting ways for your mutual benefit.
While it is possible to remove all of these subscribers manually, it’s best to rely on an email list cleaning service to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Email list cleaning services typically consolidate a variety of features into one single platform, including email verification, catch-all checks, spam trap detection, and more. Depending on the service you choose, they can even offer real-time verification and in-depth reporting.
Make list cleaning a habit
Routine list cleaning is crucial for the success of your future marketing campaigns. With each cleanse, you are proactively mitigating issues such as spam complaints, hard bounces, and more.
You also gain deeper insights into your audience, enabling you to effectively segment and target them with relevant content. In the end, this leads to improved conversions and better results.