When you create a regular email campaign with our Campaign Builder, you can select a date and time for delivery to your audience. Email scheduling is a part of our paid monthly plans.
In this article, you'll learn how to schedule or pause a regular email campaign in Mailchimp.
Before you start
- Seasonal time changes can be a bit tricky for campaign scheduling. For example, British users on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) may notice that their campaigns send later than expected after the switch to Daylight Saving Time. We recommend setting your account to your local time zone, rather than an absolute time zone like GMT. You won't have to worry about scheduled campaigns sending at odd hours.
- If your local time zone isn't listed in Mailchimp, you may need to manually change your account time zone in Account Details. This ensures the most accurate send times when your country or region has seasonal time changes.
Schedule a campaign
To schedule a regular email campaign, follow these steps.
- After you’ve designed your email campaign and selected the settings, it’ll be ready to go. Click Schedule.
- In the Schedule Your Campaign pop-up modal, use the date picker to set the delivery date.
- Click the Delivery time drop-down to choose a time of day for the email campaign to send..
If you have a Standard or Premium account, you can choose to send your campaign in batches, Send With Timewarp, or try Send Time Optimization.
- Review your settings and click Schedule Campaign to confirm.
After you schedule the campaign, you'll see the time the campaign is set to send to subscribed contacts on the Campaigns page.
If you’re sending to the entire audience or a regular segment, we will finalize your recipient count at the send time for your campaign.
An advanced segment will take a snapshot when generated, but doesn’t automatically update before sending. To have your advanced segment re-run prior to a scheduled campaign send, enable the Finalize your recipients at send time feature. This feature can be found by clicking the Schedule button in your campaign, and will. This captures email addresses that have been added or removed between scheduling and sending.
Pause and reschedule a campaign
To pause and reschedule a campaign you’ve already scheduled, follow these steps.
- Click Campaigns, then click All campaigns.
- Click the Pause And Edit button next to the scheduled campaign you want to work with.
- In the Pause Campaign pop-up modal, click Pause to confirm that you want to pause the campaign.
- Make any changes you want, then click Resume Campaign. If you don't want to send or reschedule the campaign yet, click your browser's back button to exit the campaign.
- Reschedule the campaign in the Schedule Your Campaign pop-up modal.
- Review your settings and click Schedule campaign.
If you need to make edits to your scheduled campaign, be sure to pause it before our servers start preparing it for delivery. We recommend pausing it at least 5 minutes prior to its scheduled send time. If you try to pause a scheduled campaign that’s already prepared for delivery, it will still send as scheduled.
Additional scheduling options
These options are available with Standard and Premium plans. To change your plan type, visit the plans page in your account.
- Send Time Optimization
Send Time Optimization is a paid account feature that looks at your subscribers' click activity history to see when they're most engaged in Mailchimp campaigns. Then, it recommends a send time.
Timewarp is a paid account feature that delivers a campaign to your audience based on the recipient's time zone, instead of the time zone in your account settings.
- Batch Delivery
Batch Delivery is a feature for paid accounts that sends your campaign out in timed batches rather than to your whole audience at once. This helps control traffic to your website and prevents potential strain on your server.