When you create a regular email with our campaign builder, you can select a date and time for delivery to your audience.
In this article, you'll learn how to schedule or pause a regular email in Mailchimp.
Before you start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Email scheduling is included with the Essentials plan or higher.
- Seasonal time changes can be a bit tricky for email scheduling. For example, British users on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) may notice that their emails send later than expected after the switch to Daylight Saving Time. We recommend setting your account to your local time zone, rather than an absolute time zone like GMT. You won't have to worry about scheduled emails sending at odd hours.
- If your local time zone isn't listed in Mailchimp, you may need to change your account time zone in account Details. This ensures the most accurate send times when your country or region has seasonal time changes.
Schedule an email
To schedule a regular email, follow these steps.
- In the email builder, click Add Send Time, then click Schedule a time.
- Click the Delivery date calendar and choose a delivery date.
- Click the Send at a specific time radio button, then use the drop-down to choose a time of day to send the email.
If you have a Standard account or higher, you can send your email in batches, Send With Timewarp, or try Send Time Optimization.
- Review your settings and click Save.
- Click Schedule.
- In the Schedule email for sending? popup, click Confirm scheduling email.
After you schedule the email, you'll see the scheduled date and time on the Campaigns page.
If you’re sending to the entire audience or a regular segment, we will finalize your recipient count at the send time for your email.
An advanced segment will take a snapshot when generated, but doesn’t automatically update before sending. To have your advanced segment re-run prior to a scheduled email send, enable the Finalize your recipients at send time feature. This feature can be found by clicking the Schedule button in your email. This captures email addresses that have been added or removed between scheduling and sending.
Pause and reschedule an email
To pause and reschedule an email you’ve already scheduled, follow these steps.
- Click Campaigns, then click All campaigns.
- Click the Pause And Edit button next to the scheduled email you want to work with.
- In the Pause Campaign pop-up modal, click Pause to confirm.
- Make any changes you want in the email builder.
- When you’re ready to schedule the email, follow steps 1-6 in Schedule an email.
If you need to make edits to your scheduled email, be sure to pause it at least 5 minutes before its scheduled send time. If you try to pause a scheduled email that’s being prepared for delivery, it will send as scheduled.
Additional scheduling options
- Send Time Optimization
Send Time Optimization is a paid account feature that looks at your subscribed contacts' click activity history to see when they're most engaged in Mailchimp emails. Then, it recommends a send time.
Timewarp is a paid account feature that delivers an email to your audience based on the recipient's time zone, instead of the time zone in your account settings.
- Batch Delivery
Batch Delivery is a feature for paid accounts that sends your email out in timed batches rather than to your whole audience at once. This helps control traffic to your website and prevents potential strain on your server.