Users often want to know what time is best to send their email campaigns. Unfortunately, there's no one answer. Ideal sending times vary by industry, day of the week, and your specific list.
In this article, we'll give you some tips on determining the best send time for your subscribed contacts.
To determine when your subscribers are most likely to engage with your campaigns, use an A/B Testing campaign to test delivery date and time, or compare the click rates on your Reports page. These types of tests and research can help you narrow down the right time to send your campaigns for maximum engagement from your subscribers.
If you're a paid user, you can try Send Time Optimization to take the guess work out of the testing process. It looks at your specific list and determines the best sending time for the subscribers you're sending to, and distributes it at the optimal time.
How Send Time Optimization Works
Our users send a lot of email to a lot of people. Some of those people receive campaigns from more than one Mailchimp user, which means we have some data about their individual engagement patterns.
When you create a campaign and turn on the Send Time Optimization feature, we use that data to pinpoint an ideal time within 24 hours of your selected send date, and send your campaign at that time.
To make sure that the recommended sending time is as effective as possible, we made a few decisions about how Send Time Optimization should work.
- Send time recommendations are weighted toward subscribers with higher star ratings, so that times aren't determined by subscribers who aren't likely to engage with your email marketing.
- We use a click-to-send ratio when we recommend a timeslot, to account for timeslots that have a higher-than-normal rate of sending. If we looked at clicks only, we might assume a timeslot showed strong engagement, but it actually only represented a spike in users sending campaigns.
- New data comes in all the time. Each time you send a campaign, we use the newest available data to make a time recommendation.
Turn on Send Time Optimization
To use Send Time Optimization, follow these steps.
- When your campaign is ready to send, click Schedule.
- Choose Let Mailchimp optimize send time for maximum engagement.
- Click Schedule Campaign.
Send Time Optimization can only be used if there are more than five hours left in the day in the time zone set for the account. We don’t recommend using this feature for same-day sending.