Once you’ve connected your QuickBooks Online and Mailchimp accounts, you can use the data from your QuickBooks Online account, like purchase history or buying habits, to target your marketing to specific sets of your customers.
In this article, you’ll learn how to send an email campaign to a suggested segment from your QuickBooks Online dashboard.
Before you start
- You’ll need to have connected your QuickBooks Online and Mailchimp accounts to use segmentation. Check out Connect or Disconnect Mailchimp for QuickBooks Online for more information.
- Depending on your plan, you may have limited access to Mailchimp’s segmentation tools. Check out About Mailchimp Pricing Plans for more details.
How it works
When you connect your QuickBooks Online and Mailchimp accounts, your QuickBooks Online customer information syncs to your Mailchimp account. Your customers transfer as contacts in your Mailchimp audience. The sync tags the contacts as having been imported from QuickBooks Online so that you can easily identify them for targeted marketing efforts.
You can use your QuickBooks Online dashboard to view your audience and contacts and create an audience segment based on criteria that you set. For example, you can create an audience segment that targets customers who’ve spent more than a certain amount with you. Then, you can create an email campaign targeting those customers specifically.
For this example, we’ll use an audience segment of customers who have spent more than $200 at The Potted Planter. Then, we’ll create an email campaign with a coupon and send it to this segment.
Create and send to an audience segment
To create and send to an audience segment from your QuickBooks Online dashboard, follow these steps.
- Click Audience and then choose Audience dashboard.
- Scroll to Suggested Segments. If you want to change the criteria that define the segments, you can click Customize. In this example, we’ll keep $200 as the threshold of customer spend to be a top customer. Hover over the Top customers segment and click Target with Campaign.
- On the pop-up modal, click Create An Email.
- Customize your email with the following:
- Click Add From and review or update the sender’s name and email address. Click Save to continue.
- Click Add Subject and enter the subject line text. You can also add preview text on this page. Click Save to continue.
- Click Design Email to create the email content. For details about all the things you can do to match your brand and marketing goals, check out Design an Email with the New Builder. When you’re finished with your email design, click Continue.
- If all looks good, click Send. If you’d rather set a specific time to send the email, click Schedule. On the pop-up modal, click Send Now to confirm and you’re done!
Now that you’ve sent your first email to a segment of your customers, learn more about audience segments, customer journeys, and email campaigns with the following articles and guides.