Groups are a great way to sort your subscribed contacts based on common interests or preferences. To send targeted content to groups, you'll create a segment based on group data.
In this article, you'll learn how to send to groups in your audience.
Before you start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- You need to have an audience with at least one group that includes contacts.
- Make sure you're familiar with groups and segments. Groups are stored as data fields in your audience, just like other data you use to create segments.
- This process segments groups with a single condition. To further target recipients, use additional segmentation conditions.
Send to groups from the email builder
You can create segments in most campaign builders. Here, we'll cover how to create a group-based segment in the regular email campaign builder.
To send to groups from the email builder, follow these steps.
- In the To section, click Add Recipients.
- In the Audience drop-down, choose the audience you want to work with.
- In the Recipients drop-down, choose New segment.
- Click __Add filter.
- In the How your contacts are grouped section, choose a group category.
- Choose whether to send to contacts who are in one of, all of, or none of the group names.
- Click the radio button next to the group name you want to work with.
- Click Review Segment to see how many contacts are included.
- Click Edit segment to make any changes. When you're satisfied, click Apply segment.
You're all set! Now, only the contacts who meet the conditions you set will receive your email. Click the recipient count to view each of them.
Send to groups with a saved segment
You can also create reusable, saved segments based on group data from your audience's contact table.
To do this, create a segment with the conditions set to the group or groups you want to target. Save your segment to reuse it as many times as you need.
To increase your segmenting options, try some of Mailchimp's advanced tools.