Privacy Rights Requests
The rights you can exercise on this page are applicable to how your personal data exists within the Mailchimp platform as an individual.
If you are a customer of any other Intuit products such as TurboTax, Quickbooks, Credit Karma or Mint and would like to exercise your privacy rights, please visit their website here.
There are two primary categories of individuals for whom we process data: Members and Contacts.
- A Member is a customer of the Service or a representative of an entity that’s a customer of the Service.
- A Contact is any person that a Member may contact through our Service. In other words, a Contact is anyone on a Member's distribution list about whom a Member has given us information or is anyone who has otherwise interacted with a Member via the Service
What are my privacy rights as an individual?
- The right to be informed - this is a right to know how we process your personal information.
- The right of access - this is a right to ask us for a copy of the personal information that we, as a controller, hold about you.
- The right to data portability - this is a right to ask us to provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly used, and machine readable form in certain circumstances.
- The right to rectification – this is a right to rectify (put another way, change or correct) any personal information that you believe we are holding about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to erasure (deletion) - this is a right to have your personal information delete if it is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected or when other certain conditions apply (commonly called "the right to be forgotten").
- The right to restrict processing - this is a right to request the restriction or suppression of how we use your personal information in limited circumstances.
- The right to object - this is a right to object to the processing of your personal information in limited circumstances, such as when we are relying on 'legitimate interests' to process your personal information.
- The right to make a complaint to your Data Protection Authority – this is a right to complain to a data protection authority about our use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in Europe are available here, and for the U.K., here.
What is my relationship to Mailchimp?
Certain data protection laws (like those in Europe and US states like California and Virginia) make the distinction between those who act as 'controllers' and those who act as 'processors' of personal information. Put simply, a controller is the organization who determines how and why your personal information is to be used for certain purposes. A processor is an organization who acts as a service provider and only processes personal information on behalf of the controller under the controller's instruction.
Members - As a Member, Mailchimp acts as a controller of your personal information. Please review our Global Privacy Statement for further information about how we may process your personal information as a controller.
Contacts - As a Contact, our Members are the primary controller, and we are simply acting as their processor. For instance, if you signed up to receive a newsletter from one of our Members, that Member may ask us to help them send out their newsletters by using our services. In that case, the Member is the controller of your personal information, and Mailchimp is merely a processor. Under the law, it is up to the controller to make sure you can exercise your rights over your personal information. If you have questions about how your personal information is handled by our Members (the business or organization contacting you through the Service), you will need to review their privacy notices and, if necessary, contact them directly.
However, in the limited circumstances Mailchimp is a controller, you may have the rights identified in the chart below. Please review our Global Privacy Statement for further information about how we may process your personal information as a controller.
How do I exercise my privacy rights?
- You may exercise your privacy rights by choosing the options applicable to your request in the form below.
- In order to protect your personal information, your identity must be verified through our automated process.
- If you have more than one email address you would like to process, please submit a separate request for each email address.
- Please use the following chart to help you determine which privacy rights you would like to exercise.
|Your privacy rights||How Members may exercise their rights||How Contacts may exercise their rights|
|The right to be informed||View our Global Privacy Statement||View our Global Privacy Statement|
|The right of access||Submit an Access/Portability request.||Submit an Access/Portability request.|
|The right to data portability||Submit an Access/Portability request.||Submit an Access/Portability request.|
|The right to rectification||Log in to your profile and update your information.||Please contact the Member directly.|
|The right to erasure (deletion)||Revoke your profile’s access or close your account permanently.||Submit a Global Erasure Request and/or a Mailchimp Erasure Request.|
|The right to restrict processing||We do not believe that this right will ordinarily apply to our processing of your personal information; however, if you would like to contact us about this right, please submit a question here.||We do not believe that this right will ordinarily apply to our processing of your personal information; however, if you would like to contact us about this right, please submit a question here.|
|The right to object||Visit “Manage my Data” and/or “Details” in your account settings.||If you would like to exercise this right in relation to our data analytics program, submit a Data Analytics Opt Out request below. If you would like to exercise this right in any other circumstances, please submit a question here.|
|The right to make a complaint to your Data Protection Authority||Please contact your local data protection authority using the links above.||Please contact your local data protection authority using the links above.|
Submit your request:
Please select the right(s) you wish to exercise. You may also submit requests to us at email@example.com. Please let us know that you'd like to exercise a privacy rights request for Mailchimp.
Access/Portability Request: Please provide me with a copy of my personal information. If you select this option, we will provide you with a copy of the personal information we hold about you as a controller, to the extent required by law.
Data Analytics Opt-Out:
- For Contacts - Please opt my personal information out of Mailchimp's data science projects that leverage algorithms or machine learning systems to extract insights or conclusions. Note, this option is applicable to how Contacts exist in our platform. If you select this option, we will remove your personal information from the projects described above.
- For Members - As an individual Member, you may opt your Contacts' personal information out of data science projects that leverage algorithms or machine learning systems that extract insights or conclusions by following the instructions here. If you choose this option, some features may be unavailable to you. Our Members may also choose to exclude their information in Personalized Advertising using the instructions found in the article above.
Global Erasure Request: This option is applicable to Contacts only. Please forward my deletion request to the Mailchimp Member who is the data controller. If you choose this option, we will notify the relevant Mailchimp Members that you would like your personal information deleted from their Mailchimp accounts. The notice will include instructions for the Member to follow for permanently deleting your personal information from their Mailchimp account. We suggest that you separately follow up with the relevant Mailchimp Members directly to request deletion of the personal information they process about you through their Mailchimp accounts. We will also provide you with a copy of the contact information for each of the Mailchimp Members where your personal information is found.
Mailchimp Erasure Request:
- For Contacts - If you select this option we will delete any personal information Mailchimp processes about you as a controller at the time of your request and to the extent required by law.
- For Members - If you would like to delete the personal information we hold about you that is found in your Mailchimp account, you may revoke your profile’s access or close your account permanently depending on the nature of your Membership.
Last Updated: August 1, 2023