Get the job done with a pro
From training to full-service marketing, our community of partners can help you make things happen.
Getting Started with the Mailchimp Mobile SDK
Use the Mailchimp Mobile SDK to automatically add your mobile application users to your Mailchimp audience and send them relevant marketing.
In this article, you’ll learn how to generate an SDK Client Key and what you need to know before the Mailchimp Mobile SDK is installed.
Things to consider
Installing the Mailchimp Mobile SDK is only a three-step process, but there are some important things to consider before you begin.
- Do you have access to your application’s developer?
Installing the SDK is an advanced task and requires developer assistance in your application’s codebase. Contact your application’s developer before installing and using the SDK.
- What information do you want to sync to your audience?
In Mailchimp, you can segment your application’s users by the data in their contact profile. Consider how you want to market to them and any audience fields you‘ll need before you sync.
- Do you have permission to send marketing to your contacts?
Mailchimp supports many contact types, including some that require permission before sending them marketing.
Generate an SDK Key
An SDK Client Key is used to unlock all of the Mailchimp Mobile SDK features. After you create a key, a developer can use it to install and initialize the SDK on your Android or iOS mobile app.
To generate an SDK Client Key in Mailchimp, follow these steps.
- Click your profile image and choose Account.
- Click the Extras drop-down and choose API keys.
- In the Developer Tools section, click Create A Client Key.
- Select the audience you want your app to sync with. After you generate your key, this selection cannot be changed.
- In the Label section, give your key a unique name or description.
- Enter the email address of the developer installing the SDK. We may contact them if there’s an issue.
- After you agree to the additional terms, click Create Key.
That’s it! Your SDK key will now be created on the API keys page of your account. Copy your SDK key to your clipboard and share it with the developer installing the Mailchimp Mobile SDK.
Set marketing permissions
Before you can market to your contacts in Mailchimp, you must set appropriate marketing permissions. These permissions show us how a contact wants their information used.
On the API keys page, we provide examples that you can paste directly into your application’s code.
For more information on why we require permission, check out this guide.
Review audience fields
When contacts from your application sync to your Mailchimp audience, their information will be stored in your contact table and their contact profile page. Audience fields, like address and phone number, will populate with available information so that you can better market to them. Combine this information with tags and custom event data to send targeted campaigns.
For more information on audience fields, check out these guides.
Manage Audience and Signup Form Fields
Getting Started with Merge Tags for Email
Install the Mobile SDK
Ready to install and use the Mailchimp Mobile SDK? Check out this developer guide to start the process.