The information you collect through your MailChimp signup form is saved in a list field and tied to a unique label, called a merge tag. Use merge tags to insert personalized or dynamic content from your list into the campaigns you send.
In this article, you'll learn about merge tags and ways you can use them to customize your email campaigns.
If you're new to MailChimp, take a few moments to review the terminology we use to discuss lists and merge tags.
A repository of email contacts, along with their profile details and preferences, who have opted-in to receive your campaigns.
- List Field
A place in your list where specific contact details are stored, like a cell in a spreadsheet.
- Merge Tag
A unique, text-based identifier that corresponds to the data in a list field.
- Dynamic Content
The personalized or otherwise unique content that's inserted into a campaign by a merge tag.
Before You Start
- Merge tags are available for email campaigns and some default forms and response emails.
- Since lists often contain different list fields, they also have different merge tags. If you have more than one MailChimp list, make sure you use the correct merge tags for the list you plan to send to.
- To make sure each of your contacts sees good-looking content, you should save default merge tag values in your list settings, which we'll cover in this article.
Testing and Troubleshooting
You should always preview and test your merge tags before your campaign goes out. Here are some things to know about testing merge tags in MailChimp.
- To see a live preview of your merge tags, toggle the Enable live merge tag info slider to the green checkmark in Preview Mode.
- Merge tags do not preview in the Template Editor. To test these merge tags, create a campaign from the saved template and use our preview and test tools.
- If you use merge tags in your signup forms and response emails, sign up to your list through the form, and review how they appear in each step of the process.
- If merge tags aren't working the way you expect, check out our troubleshooting guide.