Use our Dynamic Content feature to tailor a single email to different contacts in your audience. Add this setting to a content block, and we’ll make sure to show or hide it based on conditions you choose.
In this article, you’ll learn about Dynamic Content and how to enable it in a content block
Things to know
- This feature is available for users with a Standard plan or higher. To learn more, read About Mailchimp Pricing Plans.
- For compliance reasons, Dynamic Content is unavailable for Footer content blocks.
- Saved templates and replicated emails retain any Dynamic Content settings.
How it works
To make sure you show the right content to the right people, we typically recommend that you create separate emails with unique messages for different segments of your audience. But with Dynamic Content, you can use one email to show different content to different recipients. This can save you lots of time, especially if you tend to replicate your emails and make small changes for different segments.
For example, let’s say you send a weekly newsletter to all subscribers. This week, you want to include a promo code only for subscribers you’ve placed in the Member-Level - Patrons audience group. Instead of sending two versions of the same newsletter — one with a promo code and one without — you can create one email and add the Member Level > is > Patron Dynamic Content condition to your Promo Code content block. When you send, only recipients in the Patron group will see that promo code.
Most types of email content blocks support Dynamic Content, so you can get creative with how you show or hide certain marketing messages for different recipients.
Similar to how you build segments in your audience, you’ll choose your Dynamic Content conditions based on the data you have about your contacts.
Here are the available parameters and operators to use with your Dynamic Content conditions.
|• Audience field (Text, Date, Address, Postal Code)|
• Is not
Set Dynamic Content
To set Dynamic Content, follow these steps.
- Click the content block you want to work with, or drag and drop a new content block into your layout.
- In the editing pane, click Set Dynamic Content.
You may be prompted to choose an audience first.
- Click the first drop-down to choose an audience field or group category.
- Click the second drop-down to choose is or is not.
- Enter an audience field value or choose a group name.
- Click Confirm.
If you want to start over, click Reset.
- Review your conditions and click Save.
To change your selection, click Edit and repeat steps 3-6. After you save, the Dynamic Content button will display a green circle with the words Dynamic Content On.
Nice job! When you send your email, this content block will only be viewable to recipients who match the conditions you chose.
Edit Dynamic Content
When a content block includes Dynamic Content, it will display a Dynamic Content Enabled message when you hover over it in the email designer. You can edit Dynamic Content settings in any draft or paused email.
To edit Dynamic Content, follow these steps.
- In your email layout, click the Dynamic Content block you want to work with.
- In the editing pane, click the Dynamic Content On button.
From here, you can choose new conditions and click Confirm, or click Reset to clear all Dynamic Content conditions.