Looking for help with your list?
Mailchimp lists are now called audiences. They include the same data and functionality as before, along with valuable new insights about your contacts. As we introduce this change over time, you’ll notice fewer places where we still say list. Learn more about this change.
Mailchimp offers two ways to provide a file to your contacts when they subscribe to your email campaigns. Since we don't allow attachments, we give you the option to upload your report, MP3, video, or other file type directly to our servers. We host the files for you, so you can link to the files for download in your campaign.
In this article, you'll learn about two ways to send a file to new subscribers.
Add Your File to the Final Welcome Email
After someone opts in to receive your email campaigns, you can send them a final welcome email to confirm their subscription and share an exclusive offer or file.
To add a file to your final welcome email, follow these steps.
- Click the Audience tab.
- If you have more than one audience, click the Current audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with.
- Click the Manage Audience drop-down and choose Signup forms.
- Select Form builder.
- Select the Final welcome email from the Forms and response emails drop-down menu near the top of the page.
- On the Build it tab, click inside the dashed lines to open the editor.
- Type some text, like "Download your free song," and highlight it. Then, click the Link icon.
- In the Insert or Edit Link modal, choose File from the drop-down menu.
- Choose or upload your file, and click Insert.
- When your content is how you want, click Save & Close to return to the Form Builder.
To test the file you added to the final welcome email, you'll have to go through the signup process. Select Signup form from the Forms and response emails drop-down menu to find your signup form URL.
Add Your File to a Welcome Automation
A welcome message automation is a great way to greet new subscribers and help them get to know you.
To use a welcome message automation to send a file to new subscribers, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
- Click Create Campaign.
- Click Email.
- Click Automated.
- Click Welcome new subscribers.
- Enter your campaign name and choose an audience.
- Click Begin.
- When you get to the emails step, click Design Email to edit the default email in your welcome message automation.
- On the Design step, add your content and follow the steps to create a link to your file.
- Click Save and Continue.
- Finish configuring your automation and click Start Workflow.
When the next person signs up for your marketing emails, they'll receive your automated email or email series with linked files to download.
Automation settings are directly linked to the audience you are sending to. Once you click Start Workflow, you won't be able to edit the audience, automation type, or email order. You can still edit content, however. To make changes to uneditable portions of an automation, replicate your automation and reconfigure the new copy.