Mailchimp offers free file hosting so you can add a file to an email campaign and share it with your contacts. You can upload and share many types of files including images, documents, spreadsheets, audio, or video.
In this article, you'll learn how to upload a file to an email campaign and share it with your contacts.
Before you start
- We offer file hosting instead of traditional email attachments because attachments can slow or stop bulk email delivery, or cause security software to completely block your email.
- File hosting does not support zip files containing unsupported file types.
You can upload many types of files to your Mailchimp account, and share them with your contacts. Each image file should be approximately 1MB or less, and other file types should be 10MB or less.
Here are the file types we allow in Mailchimp.
|Text files||.txt, .csv, .log, .css, .ics|
|Image files||.jpg, .jpe, .jpeg, .gif, .png, .bmp, .psd, .tif, .tiff, .svg, .indd, .ai, .eps|
|Document files||.doc, .docx, .rtf, .odt, .ott, .pdf, .pub, .pages, .mobi, .epub|
|Audio files||.mp3, .m4a, .m4v, .wma, .ogg, .flac, .wav, .aif, .aifc, .aiff,|
|Video files||.mp4, .mov, .avi, .mkv, .mpeg, .mpg, .wmv|
|Spreadsheet files||.xls, .xlsx, .ods, .numbers|
|Presentation files||.odp, .ppt, .pptx, .pps, .key|
|Archive files||.zip, .vcf|
Upload file and share it in a campaign
Use the campaign builder's Link tool to upload the file to our content studio. We'll create a unique URL for your file and add it to your email campaign.
To upload your file and create a link to it in your email campaign, follow these steps.
- In the Content section of the Campaign Builder, click Edit Design.
- On the Design step, click an existing content box or drag and drop a new one into your layout.
- Create the text or image you want to link and highlight it.
- Click the Link icon.
- Click the Link to drop-down menu, and choose File.
- Click Upload to choose a file from your computer.
- Choose your file, and click Open to upload it to the content studio.
- In the Insert or Edit Link pop-up modal, we'll automatically fill in the URL of your file.
To edit optional settings like whether to open the file in a new window, or to apply a Title Attribute or CSS Class, click Advanced Options.
- Click Insert
- Continue building your campaign.
After you send the campaign, contacts who click the link you created will be able to access your file. Find out how many people opened the file in your campaign report.
Check out these resources to learn more about sharing files, images, and media with your contacts.