The Text content block offers a lot of flexibility for your layout. Add written information and links, then apply different font styles and settings as needed. You can even include images throughout your text.
In this article, you’ll learn how to use Text content blocks in the classic builder.
Before you start
- This article tells you how to use Text content blocks for the classic builder. For more information on similar content blocks in the new builder, check out our articles on Heading, Paragraph, and Layout content blocks.
- Text content blocks are available in the classic builder for email and landing pages. To learn more, read About Content Blocks.
- If you want to include a background color, try a Boxed Text content block instead.
For more information on each email builder and their content blocks, check out About Mailchimp’s Email Builders.
Add Text content blocks to your layout
To add a Text content block, follow these steps.
- Click and drag a Text block into your layout.
- In the Content tab of the editing pane, add your text.
If you paste in content from an outside source, like a website or word-processing program, use either the Paste as plain-text or Paste from Rich Text Editor to prevent extra styling code from being added. If you’ve already pasted your text, use the Clear Styles tool to remove excess code before you style it in Mailchimp.
- Edit style and settings as needed. Any styles you apply on the Content tab will override the styles you apply on the Style tab. Both Content and Style tab changes will override section styles.
- Click Save & Close.
Edit style and settings
To edit style and settings in your Text block, follow these steps.
- In your layout, click the Text content block you want to work with.
- On the Style tab, choose font, size, color, and other preferences you want to apply to the entire content block.
To use these settings for all Text blocks in your layout, check the box next to Apply to all existing Text blocks.
- On the Settings tab, click the Number of columns drop-down to choose either 1 or 2 columns. To adjust the width of the columns, choose an option under Column split.
- Return to the Content tab to make any line-by-line styling changes. These changes will override any styles you apply to the overall content block or template section.
If your Text block is 2 columns, toggle between the Column 1 and Column 2 tabs to edit each.
- Click Save & Close.
Use Inline Content Generation
For customers on a Standard plan or higher, take advantage of Inline Content Generation to have custom subject lines and email copy created for you. This feature uses Intuit Assist, a generative AI tool that helps you create on-brand content with speed and efficiency based on prompts you provide. To learn more about this feature, check out Use Inline Content Generation.
Enable Dynamic Content
When you design an email, you can turn any content block into Dynamic Content that displays only for certain recipients. This helps target different types of subscribers at the same time with a single email.
To learn more about Dynamic Content and how to enable it in your content block, check out About Dynamic Content.
Ways to use text blocks
After you learn the basics of how to use Text content blocks, here are some things to try.
- Add an image
You can add an image to any text-based content block. To learn more, read Upload, Add, and Edit Images in Emails and Landing Pages.
- Wrap text around an image
Insert an image and set it to left or right alignment. For step-by-step instructions, check out Wrap Text Around an Image.
- Create a 4-column layout
Select a 2-column template, add a Text block to each column, then make each block 2 columns.
- Use custom social icons
Upload your own custom-designed icons to a Text block and link images appropriately with SHARELINK merge tags.
- Translate your email content
Use merge tags to provide translated versions of your email content to your recipients. To learn more, read Translate Content in an Email.