Review your website’s content, design, and technical background
The first part of your website update should involve exploring your technical background, design, and content. This will be a general overview of everything you have on your website. A few of the areas you need to include in this step include:
- Visual content. Is your visual content fresh? Do the graphics show up well? Do they load quickly? Make sure your visual elements are still appealing to your visitors with a thorough website content update process.
- Design. Does it reflect your brand? Is it easy for people to navigate? Do you need to add new pages because your company has grown?
- Technical background. Is it easy for search engines to index your website? Does your website load well on mobile devices and desktop computers? Is the loading speed adequate?
As long as you keep these basic points in mind, you can get your website update off to a good start.
Learn from the competition
The next part of your website update involves looking at competitors. Specifically, you need to examine the competitors on search result pages that also rank for similar words and phrases.
Then, visit those websites and identify what they're doing better. While you don't want to copy your competitors, see if you can incorporate some elements into your website. You may be able to improve your search result rankings and drive more traffic to your website.
Perform A/B Testing
Once you have a few things you want to update on your website, you need to perform A/B testing. This means you'll compare two ideas to one another to see which ones work better.
As the name suggests, one will be option A and the other option B. Then, you need to have clear, objective metrics for how you will decide which option is better. Here are some of the metrics you may want to include:
- The amount of traffic each option gets
- The conversion rate of each option
- The feedback rating from customers of each option
Next, look at the metrics after a set amount of time. Make sure to incorporate the winning option into your website.