As your list grows, it's important to maintain up-to-date information about your contacts. This can help to keep your list healthy and increase engagement. Each contact’s information is stored in a profile that can be updated at any time.
In this article, you'll learn how to update contact information for an individual profile and help your subscribed contacts update their own information.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you get started.
- If you want to update multiple profiles at one time, you can import a list with our auto-update import feature. To learn more, check out our article on how to import subscribers to a list.
- When a contact's email address is updated, campaign activity connected to that email address will be lost.
- Lists in Mailchimp function independently and don't share information. If you have a contact who is on multiple lists, you'll need to update their profile on each list.
- Some information can't be changed, like when and how the contact was added or updated. Unsubscribed or cleaned contacts can't be updated.
Unsubscribe or Delete
If you need to unsubscribe or delete a contact entirely, use the Actions drop-down menu at the top of their profile.
Update Profile Information
On any contact's profile, you can edit the first name, last name, email address, and other list field data, including which groups they're a part of.
To edit a subscribed contact's list field data and group settings, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the name of the list you want to work with.
- Click the contact you want to edit.
- Click Edit next to the section you want to update.
- Make the necessary changes and click Save.
All set! Now your contact's information is up-to-date.
You can completely remove certain system-predicted information from contact profile pages across lists when you edit the sections they appear in. This information includes Predicted Demographics, estimated location, and favorite email client. Removing any of these fields will permanently delete them from any contact profile associated with that email address on any list in your account.
Use the Update Profile Form in Your Email Campaigns
Each of your lists includes a default update profile form that matches your signup form and allows your subscribed contacts to update their own profile information. Every email campaign you send should include a link to your update profile form so your subscribers always have an opportunity to make changes.
We automatically include the *|UPDATE_PROFILE|* merge tag in the default footer content block, but you can add it to any section of your campaign.