The Classic Automation Builder is Mailchimp's original automated email series tool. Now, Mailchimp offers the Customer Journey Builder which allows you to automate more than just emails. Use Customer Journeys to add tags, send targeted emails, and accomplish other important tasks.
It can be time consuming to recreate all of your classic automations in the Customer Journey builder, so we’ve created a tool to automatically convert your classic automation to a Customer Journey.
In this article you will learn how to change a Classic Automation to a Customer Journey map.
Before you start
Here are a few things to know before you begin this process.
- Depending on your pricing plan, you may have limited access to Customer Journey tools. To learn more, check out our pricing page. To change your plan type, visit the plans page in your account.
- Your original classic automation will be archived once you turn on your new customer journey. You can find your archived classic automations and its report in the Archived folder on the Campaigns page.
- After you change your classic automation to a customer journey, any existing contacts queued in the classic automation will complete the classic workflow.
- The Email Retargeting and Purchase Product from Categories classic automation triggers will not be able to convert to a Customer Journey.
Convert a Classic Automation to a Customer Journey
To convert a Classic Automation to a Customer Journey, follow these steps.
- Click the Automations icon, then choose All Journeys.
- Click Classic Automations.
- Click the three vertical dots next to the Classic Automation you want to work with, then select Convert to Journey.
- Click Continue to Journey.
- Review the customer journey map, then click Turn On.
That's it! Your original classic automation will be archived once you turn on the new Customer Journey. After that point, no additional contacts will enter the classic automation workflow.
Now that your Classic Automation is converted to a Customer journey, you may want to update or edit your journey map. To learn more, check out Edit a Customer Journey Map.