There are a couple of ways to add your Shopify customer data to Mailchimp. If you’ve connected Mailchimp for Shopify, your data will automatically be added to your Mailchimp account. You can also manually import your Shopify customers to grow your audience. Use this data to create custom segments and send targeted campaigns.
In this article, you’ll learn how to import Shopify customers, and some of their data, to your Mailchimp audience.
Before you start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- These instructions are for importing Shopify customers who have accepted marketing permissions.
- There are several field types available for your audience. Make sure your data is formatted for our field types.
- To complete this process, you’ll need a blank sheet in a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, saved or exported as a comma separated value (CSV) file.
- When you disconnect a Shopify store from Mailchimp, the store's purchase data, and some audience members, will be removed from your Mailchimp account within 30 days.
How it works
This manual import has a few steps. First, you’ll export the customer data from Shopify. Next, you’ll prepare the Shopify CSV file for Mailchimp. Finally, you’ll upload the file to your audience.
Export Shopify customer data
To export the segment of your Shopify customers who have accepted marketing, follow these steps.
- Log in to your Shopify account.
- In the left navigation menu, click Customers.
- Click the Email subscribers tab.
- Click Export.
- in the Export customers modal, click the XX customers matching search option. This will export subscribed contacts who have accepted marketing.
- Click Export Customers.
That's it! Your export will be delivered to the email address associated with your account. You now have a CSV file of your Shopify customers and some of their data.
To prepare your CSV file for import, you may need to adjust it to a format that our import tool can accept.
Format the file
To prepare your Shopify customer file for import, follow these steps.
- In a spreadsheet program like Excel or Sheets, open a blank worksheet.
- Create and label a column for Email Address.
- Next to your Email Address column, create and label additional columns for First Name and Last Name.
- Email Address is the only field that we require, but you can repeat this step for any other subscriber data fields you want to include in Mailchimp, like phone number, birthday, language, address, or country.
- Paste your contacts' information into the relevant fields in the spreadsheet.
- Save the file in CSV format. This option can usually be accessed from the File menu in your spreadsheet program, labeled as "Export as .CSV" or "Download as .CSV."
Now that you've completed these steps, you're ready to import the CSV file to your Mailchimp audience.
Import contacts to Mailchimp
To import your contacts to Mailchimp, follow these steps.
- Click the Audience icon.
- Click Audience dashboard.
- If you have more than one audience, click the Current audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with.
- Click the Manage Audience drop-down and choose Import contacts.
- Choose Upload File.
- Click Continue to Upload.
- Click Browse and choose the CSV file from your computer.
- Click Continue to Organize.
- Use the Select an audience drop-down to confirm the audience you want to import to.
- Use the Select a status drop-down menu to choose the status of the contacts you're about to import.
The available statuses for contacts are:
If you import subscribed contacts, be sure that you have permission to send them marketing.
- If your audience has groups, you can import your contacts directly into the group of your choice. Navigate to the Select groups section and check the box next to each group that applies.
You'll only see this option if you have groups in your audience.
- If you want to update contacts that are already in your audience, check the box next to Update any existing contacts.
- Click Continue to Tag.
- If you want to assign tags to all of the contacts in your import, click the drop-down menu and choose or create tags as needed. You can also choose from popular tags.
- When you're ready, click Continue to Match.
- Match the columns in your import file to the fields in your Mailchimp audience. We'll automatically match some columns for you. For example, the column that contains email addresses will match the required Email Address field.
- Click the column header to choose a different field type for the column or to create a new field. Repeat for all unmatched columns that you want to import. Any unmatched columns will not be imported.
- Click Finalize Import to review your import settings.
- If everything looks good, click Complete Import.
After the import is finished, we'll send a notification to the email address associated with your username.
Signup automations will not automatically send when subscribed contacts are imported. You will have to edit the Trigger in the automation and check the box next to Trigger when subscribers are imported.