There are a couple of ways to add your Shopify customer data to Mailchimp. If you’ve connected Mailchimp for Shopify, your data will automatically be added to your Mailchimp account. You can also manually import your Shopify customers to grow your list. Use this data to create custom segments and send targeted campaigns.
In this article, you’ll learn how to import Shopify customers, and some of their data, to your Mailchimp list.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- These instructions are for importing Shopify customers who have accepted marketing permissions.
- There are several field types available for your list. Make sure your data is formatted for our field types.
- To complete this process, you’ll need a blank sheet in a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, saved or exported as a comma separated value (CSV) file.
- When you disconnect a Shopify store from Mailchimp, the store's purchase data, and some list members, will be removed from your Mailchimp account within 30 days.
How it Works
This manual import has a few steps. First, you’ll export the customer data from Shopify. Next, you’ll prepare the Shopify CSV file for Mailchimp. Finally, you’ll upload the file to your list.
Export Shopify Customer Data
To export the segment of your Shopify customers who have accepted marketing, follow these steps.
- Log in to your Shopify account.
- In the left navigation menu, click Customers.
- Click the Email subscribers tab.
- Click Export.
- in the Export customers modal, click the XX customers matching search option. This will export subscribed contacts who have accepted marketing.
- Click Export Customers.
That's it! Your export will be delivered to the email address associated with your account. You now have a CSV file of your Shopify customers and some of their data.
To prepare your CSV file for import, you may need to adjust it to a format that our import tool can accept.
Format the File
To prepare your Shopify customer file for import, follow these steps.
- In a spreadsheet program like Excel or Sheets, open a blank worksheet.
- Create and label a column for Email Address.
- Next to your Email Address column, create and label additional columns for First Name and Last Name.
- Email Address is the only field that we require, but you can repeat this step for any other subscriber data fields you want to include in Mailchimp, like phone number, birthday, language, address, or country.
- Paste your contacts' information into the relevant fields in the spreadsheet.
- Save the file in CSV format. This option can usually be accessed from the File menu in your spreadsheet program, labeled as "Export as .CSV" or "Download as .CSV."
Now that you've completed these steps, you're ready to import the CSV file to your Mailchimp list.
Import Subscribers to Mailchimp
To upload your subscribed contact to Mailchimp, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to work with, and choose Import.
- Choose CSV or tab-delimited text file.
- Click Next.
- Click Browse and choose the file from your computer.
- Check the box next to I understand that my billing plan may be automatically upgraded. Your account will only be upgraded if your list import causes your subscriber count to exceed your current billing plan.
- Click Next to go to the Import Subscribers step and match the columns in your import file to the fields in your Mailchimp list.
- Click Save for the Email Address column. We automatically match the column in your import file that contains email addresses to the required Email Address field in your list.
- On the second column, check that the column name and field type are correct, and click Save. Or click the drop-down menu to select a different field type. To create a new column in your list, choose New Column Name.
- The editing pane for each column includes the current column name, field type, and example data from your list, for reference. To exclude a column from the final import, click Skip.
- Repeat Step 9 for all unmatched columns. You must match or skip all columns to complete your import. After you're finished matching, we'll display a success message.
- Click Next to review your final import settings.
- On the You're all set to import! screen, review the settings for your import. Be sure to keep the Subscribed option selected. If you want to assign tags to your imported contacts, click the Plus (+) icon in the Organize imported contacts section.
- After you've reviewed your settings, click Import.
After your import is finished, we'll send a notification to the email address associated with your username. Be sure to check out the Lists page in your account to see your subscribers.
Signup automations will not automatically send when a list is imported. You will have to edit the Trigger in the automation and check the box next to Trigger when subscribers are imported.