Looking for help with your list?
Mailchimp lists are now called audiences. They include the same data and functionality as before, along with valuable new insights about your contacts. As we introduce this change over time, you’ll notice fewer places where we still say list. Learn more about this change.
After you connect your e-commerce store to Mailchimp, create a product retargeting email to remind visitors about an item they viewed on your site. Subscribed contacts who view an item on your site but don't make a purchase will receive a follow up email that can include custom links and product recommendations.
In this article, you'll learn how to create a product retargeting email.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you create a product retargeting email.
- You'll need to connect your store before you can use this automation.
- Product retargeting emails are available to users who connect a supported e-commerce store or custom API 3.0 integration. To find out if your store supports this automation, visit the Connected Sites page, click the name of your integration, and check the Features list.
About Product Retargeting
Each time you send an email campaign with links to your products, we'll track the contacts who click through to your store. If they view one of the top 8 most recently added or best-selling products in your store and don't complete a purchase, we'll send a product retargeting email that includes information about the last product they viewed on your site.
Other Things To Note
- After you set up your product retargeting email, we'll start tracking activity for subscribers who click to your site from a Mailchimp campaign.
- A subscriber won't receive more than one product retargeting email during a 7-day period.
- A subscriber won't get a product retargeting email if they end up purchasing the product, or if they received an abandoned cart email or abandoned cart series for the same product.
- You can only have one product retargeting email per connected store. If you manage multiple stores, you can create one product retargeting email for each.
To create a product retargeting email, follow these steps.
- Launch the Automation Builder.
- Choose a store and click Begin.
Now you're ready to review your delay, product type, and other settings.
Review Your Settings
Now you'll see the settings for your product retargeting email. Review each one and make any necessary changes to your from name, email address, subject line, send delay, and product type.
Set Delay and Product Type
Choose your retargeting criteria, including which product type to track and when to send your retargeting emails.
To set a delay and choose a product type, follow these steps.
- On the Automation Settings page, click Edit Recipients.
- In the Hours drop-down menu, choose to send your email 24 hours, 48 hours, or 72 hours after a subscriber browses your site.
- In the Product type drop-down menu, you'll see two options.
- Newest products tracks up to 8 of your most recently added products.
- Best sellers tracks up to eight of your top selling products, excluding out-of-stock items.
- Click Save.
After you've reviewed your settings, you're ready to design your email.
You'll design your product retargeting email the same way you would in the Campaign Builder, or with other automations. The email needs to contain a Retargeting content block, but besides that you can include as much or as little content as you want. Customize the style and layout, or add personalized offers for your customers.
The basic product retargeting email template already includes this content block as well as a product recommendations block, but you can use any template you like. To avoid duplicate products, make sure to only include one Retargeting content block in your layout.
To design your email, follow these steps.
- In the Content section, click Design Email.
- On the Template step of the Email Designer, select your template.
- On the Design step of the Email Designer, choose to Edit or Remove the logo placeholder. To learn more about this placeholder and how to set a default logo, read Set a Default Logo.
- Make any other changes you want, and click Save and Return.
- When you are ready to activate the product retargeting email, click Start Sending.
- In the Start Automation pop-up modal, click Start.
Now, subscribers who browse your store after clicking a link in one of your campaigns will automatically receive your product retargeting email.
To generate product recommendations in the default template, your connected site must meet certain purchase data requirements. If a store doesn't have enough purchase data, or a subscriber hasn't made a purchase yet, we'll display your store's top sellers instead. To learn more, take a look at About Product Recommendations.