After you connect your e-commerce store to Mailchimp, create a product retargeting email to remind visitors about an item they viewed on your site. Subscribed contacts who view an item on your site but don't make a purchase will receive a follow up email that can include custom links and personalized product recommendations.
In this article, you'll learn how to create a product retargeting email.
Before you start
Here are some things to know before you create a product retargeting email.
- You'll need to connect your store before you can use this automation.
- Product retargeting emails are available to users who connect a supported e-commerce store or custom API 3.0 integration. To find out if your store supports this automation, visit the Integrations page, click the name of your integration, and check the Features list.
- A subscriber won't receive more than one product retargeting email during a 7-day period.
- A subscriber won't get a product retargeting email if they end up purchasing the product, or if they received an abandoned cart email or abandoned cart series for the same product.
- You can have one product retargeting email per connected store.
About product retargeting
Each time you send an email with links to your products, we'll track the contacts who click through to your store. If they view one of the top 8 most recently added or best-selling products in your store and don't complete a purchase, we'll send a product retargeting email that includes information about the last product they viewed on your site.
Create a product retargeting email
To create a product retargeting email, follow these steps.
- Click the Automations icon.
- Click Classic Automations.
- Click the E-commerce tab.
- Click Retarget site visitors.
- Choose a store and click Begin.
Now you're ready to review your delay, product type, and other settings.
Review your settings
We'll display a checklist with your product retargeting email settings. Review the checklist, and make any necessary changes to your from name, email address, subject line, send delay, and product type.
Set delay and product type
Choose your retargeting criteria, including which product type to track and when to send your retargeting emails.
To set a delay and choose a product type, follow these steps.
- In the Sends to section, click Edit Recipients.
- In the Hours drop-down menu, choose to send your email 24 hours, 48 hours, or 72 hours after a subscriber browses your site.
In the Product type drop-down menu, choose either newest products or best sellers.
- Newest products tracks up to 8 of your most recently added products.
- Best sellers tracks up to 8 of your top selling products, excluding out-of-stock items.
After you've reviewed your settings, you're ready to design your email.
Your product retargeting email needs to contain a Retargeting content block, but besides that you can include as much or as little content as you want. Customize the style and layout, or add personalized offers for your customers.
The basic product retargeting email template already includes this content block as well as a product recommendations block, but you can use any template you like. To avoid duplicate products, make sure to only include one Retargeting content block in your layout.
To design your email, follow these steps.
- In the Content section, click Design Email.
- On the Template step, select your template.
- On the Design step, choose to Edit or Remove the logo placeholder. To learn more about this placeholder and how to set a default logo, read Set a Default Logo.
- Make any other changes you want, and click Save and Continue.
- When you are ready to activate the product retargeting email, click Start Sending.
- In the Confirmation pop-up modal, click Start.
Now, subscribers who browse your store after clicking a link in one of your emails will automatically receive your product retargeting email.
To generate personalized product recommendations, your connected site must meet certain purchase data requirements. If a store doesn't have enough purchase data, you can choose to show new arrivals or, top sellers instead. To learn more, take a look at About Personalized Product Recommendations.