Mailchimp's personalized product recommendations feature uses individual contact purchase data to prioritize and promote your store's relevant items. Add recommended products to your emails to increase revenue and encourage repeat purchases.
In this article, you'll learn how personalized product recommendations work, and how to use them in your emails.
Things to know
- Personalized product recommendations are available for users who connect a supported e-commerce store or a custom API 3.0 integration. To find out if your store supports this feature, visit the Integrations page.
- Mailchimp for Magento users must make sure all products added to Mailchimp include a valid image URL and product variant.
- Custom API 3.0 integration users need to include certain parameters for all Orders and Products passed over to Mailchimp.
- Custom API 3.0 integration users may have to wait up to seven days after a store is connected before personalized product recommendations are generated.
- Personalized product recommendations can't be customized or filtered. If you want more control over which products to display, try a Product content block instead.
How personalized product recommendations work
After you connect your store and turn on e-commerce tracking in your email, purchase data is pushed back to your account each time one of your contacts clicks a link and makes a purchase. Mailchimp analyzes this data to identify and rank up to 10 unique product recommendations for each contact. You can then add these recommendations to regular and automated emails.
Personalized recommendations pull from your entire catalog and work best with a lot of e-commerce data. To use personalized recommendations, we require your store to maintain the following, at minimum.
- 10 products
- 50 customers
- 500 orders in the last year
If your store doesn't meet the requirements for personalized recommendations, you can choose to recommend best sellers or new arrivals instead. Best sellers are generated using the 15 most popular products purchased from your store in the last 30 days and won’t include out-of-stock products or products without an image.
What you can do with personalized product recommendations
Personalized product recommendations can be promoted in your emails. When you add personalized recommendations to an email, you'll choose how many products to include, as well as how they’ll display.
Our data ranks how relevant products are to a particular contact, where 1 is the most relevant. Use these rankings to choose the range of products to promote.
To increase the effectiveness of campaigns that include personalized product recommendations, use segments to target contacts with similar purchase histories.
Here are some ways to use personalized product recommendations in your email.
- Tailor your promotions
Tailor the number of recommendations you include to more effectively target recipients. For example, recommend multiple products as part of a large sale or promotion at your store, or promote a single product to a smaller segment of contacts who share specific buyer preferences.
- Encourage repeat buyers
Recommend relevant products to a segment of loyal customers who have made recent repeat purchases
- Target seasonal buyers
Combine personalized product recommendations with purchase date segmenting criteria to alert contacts of relevant products at times when they are most likely to purchase items from your store.
View personalized product recommendations data
In the Product activity section of your report, you'll be able to view the total number of sales produced by personalized product recommendations and the percentage of total revenue generated by the sale of those products.
Ready to add personalized product recommendations to your emails? Here are some resources to help you get started.