If you've connected your online store to Mailchimp, you can send automated order notifications like receipts, shipping confirmations, and more. Enable only the notifications that you need, customize them to reflect your brand, and add product recommendations to encourage repeat business.
In this article, you'll learn about order notifications and how to create them.
Before you start
- If you create a Mailchimp store, your customers will receive a default order notification that is separate from this feature.
- This automation will only work for users who have e-commerce data in their account from a connected store, or custom API 3.0 integrations.
- If you use Mailchimp's API, check out our E-Commerce API Guide to learn how to trigger each order notification type.
- You can have one Order Notifications automation per connected store.
- To make sure your customers don't receive redundant emails, we recommend you disable order status emails created outside Mailchimp. However, BigCommerce users won't be able to turn off their integration's version of the Order Confirmation notification, and may want to disable the Order Confirmation in Mailchimp.
- Order notifications are transactional emails that send to anyone who places an order in your connected store. They count toward your monthly send limit.
- When you create an Order Notifications automation, we automatically populate the from name and from email address with information from your connected store. You can change these settings at any time.
How order notifications work
Order notifications are triggered by activity in your connected store. They can send out transactional emails to your store's shoppers based on their purchases. Choose any combination of five different notifications, which keep your customers updated on their purchases.
- Order Confirmation
Sends a receipt to customers when they buy something from your store. If customers aren't charged at time of order, use the Order Invoice instead.
- Order Invoice
Notifies customers that their payment has been processed. This is only recommended if customers aren't charged at time of order. If customers are charged at time of order, use the Order Confirmation instead.
- Shipping Confirmation
Notifies customers that their order is on the way.
- Refund Confirmation
Notifies customers that their refund has been processed.
- Cancellation Confirmation
Notifies customers that their order has been canceled.
Like Abandoned Cart Emails, Order notifications can be sent to anyone who gives their email address to your store, even if they're not opted in to receive email marketing.
Create order notifications
To create order notifications, follow these steps.
- On your account dashboard, click the Automations icon.
- Click Classic Automations.
- Click Enable order notifications.
- Click the drop-down menu to choose a connected store.
- Click Begin.
Now, you'll review your settings, design your emails, and start sending.
Review your settings
After you choose your store, we'll display the settings for your order notifications. Here, you can edit your recipients, from name, and from email address, and make changes to your notifications and their subject lines.
The Order Confirmation email may be enabled by default, depending on your e-commerce platform. If all you need is a simple receipt with no customization or logo, your automation is ready to go. BigCommerce users will instead see the Shipping Confirmation enabled by default.
Enable and disable order notifications
In the Emails section of your settings, choose which order notifications you want to send. After you enable a notification, you'll be able to edit its subject line and content.
To enable a notification, toggle on the slider.
To disable a notification, toggle off the slider.
The body of the Order Confirmation, Order Invoice, and Shipping Confirmation includes order information that cannot be changed. Those three notifications also include a Product Recommendations block at the end, which can be customized or hidden.
To design your order notification email, follow these steps.
- In the Emails section, find the notification you want to work with and click Design Email.
- On the Design step, choose to Edit or Remove the logo content block. If you don't change the default placeholder, we'll automatically remove it before sending.
Your logo image can be any width, and up to 600px high.
- Change the headline and editable content, choose new colors and fonts to match your brand, or keep everything as is.
Your headline can be up to 50 characters, and your editable content up to 200 characters. HTML and URLs are not allowed in these sections.
- On the Style tab, click each section to customize its colors, fonts, and other styles.
- Click Save and Return.
- Repeat steps 1-5 for each notification you want to design.
- When you are ready to activate your Order Notifications automation, click Start Sending.
- In the Start Automation pop-up modal, check the box next to My store is up to date then click Start.
- In your integration's account settings, be sure to disable any email notifications that might cause you to send duplicate emails to your customers.
Nicely done! Order notifications for your connected store are now sending. If you need to make any changes, you can pause and edit the automation at any time.
View your order notifications report
After your order notifications start sending, we'll track how your contacts engage with them.
To view your order notification report, follow these steps.
- Click Campaigns.
- Click Reports.
- Click Automations.
- Find the Order Notification automation you want to work with, and click View Report.
On the report overview, you'll see performance statistics such as clicks, opens, and order data, which shows revenue from clickthroughs to your store. To learn more about how to interpret your notification statistics, read About Automation Reports.
Order notification merge tags
In the editable and fixed content of each order notification, you'll see merge tags that automatically pull in details about your customers' orders. You can add or remove tags as needed, or just edit around them. Here are a few tags you might want to add to your editable content.
|Order status||Merge tag|
|Refund date (Refund Confirmation only)||*|ORDER_REFUND_DATE|*|
|Shipping total (Shipping Confirmation only)||*|ORDER_SHIP_TOTAL|*|