Customer Journey actions perform marketing or organizational tasks in your journey map. Use send email actions to design and customize the marketing you want to share with your audience. When contacts reach that action, we’ll automatically send the email their way.
In this article, you’ll learn how to use a send email action.
Before you start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- To learn more about Customer Journeys, how they work, and what you can do based on your marketing plan, check out About Customer Journeys.
- Design the email with the new builder or the classic builder. For more information on each email builder and their content blocks, check out About Mailchimp's Email Builders.
- Send email actions that follow Abandons cart starting points use the classic builder. To learn more, check out Create an Abandoned Cart Customer Journey Map.
- Our pre-built journey maps use default starting points, rules, and actions. To learn more, check out Use Pre-Built Journey Maps.
Add a send email action
When contacts reach a certain point in their path, choose to send them an email with a targeted message tailored to their journey.
If a customer journey includes a series of emails, we recommend you separate them with time delay rules to avoid flooding your contacts with multiple messages at once.
To add a send email action to a journey map, follow these steps.
- Hover over the plus icon (+) on the step where you want the action to occur, then click Add a journey point.
- In the action panel, click Send email.
- In the Send email pop-up, click Rename to edit the internal name for your email.
- Click Edit in the To & From field to change the To field, From name, or From email address.
- Click Edit in the Subject field to customize your subject line and preview text.
- Click Edit in the Schedule field to limit your sends to a certain day or time.
For example, if you know your audience is more likely to open emails on the weekend, you might choose to send on Saturdays and Sundays only.
- Click Edit in the Tracking field if you have Google Analytics connected to your Mailchimp account. Click the Track with Google Analytics checkbox to turn it on or off. Click the UTM parameters to edit their default values. To default back to the original values, click Reset Defaults.
This will edit Google Analytics tracking for the send email action only. To learn more about turning on tracking for all email actions in a customer journey, check out Integrate Google Analytics with Mailchimp.
- Click Select a template. If you haven't selected a default builder, select Classic Builder or New Builder.
After you've designed your email, return to the Customer Journey builder.
Well done! Repeat these steps to add additional email actions to your customer journey as needed.