Your Mailchimp audience is designed to help you collect and manage all of your contacts in one place, whether they're subscribed, unsubscribed, non-subscribed, or cleaned. Unsubscribed contacts are people who were opted in to receive your email campaigns, but aren't currently.
In this article, you'll learn how to view your unsubscribed contacts.
Before you start
- To find out why a contact unsubscribed from your email marketing, enable the unsubscribe reason survey. You can review the results in campaign reports and individual contact profiles.
- Accidental unsubscribes and abuse complaints do happen occasionally, but we don't recommend that you send to unsubscribed contacts unless you know for sure that an error occurred.
- Subscribed contact
Someone who is opted in to receive your email marketing campaigns.
- Unsubscribed contact
Someone who was opted in to receive your email marketing campaigns, but isn't currently.
- Non-subscribed contact
Someone who has interacted with your online store, but hasn't opted in to receive your email marketing campaigns.
- Cleaned contact
A non-deliverable email address. Hard bounces, as well as repeated soft bounces, become cleaned addresses.
View unsubscribed contacts
To view your unsubscribed contacts, you'll need to create a segment of them in your audience.
- Click the Audience icon.
- Click All contacts.
- If you have more than one audience, click the Current audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with.
- Click New Segment.
- Set the drop-down menus to Email Marketing Status | is | Unsubscribed.
- Click Preview Segment.
When you preview your segment, you'll see only the unsubscribed contacts in your audience. To further refine your segment, click Edit. To save your segment of unsubscribed contacts, click Save segment. If you choose to save your segment, you can export it to a CSV.
There are a few reasons a contact could show as unsubscribed when they didn't request it.
- They forwarded the email from their inbox, and the secondary recipient clicked the unsubscribe link. Unsubscribe links are tied to the original recipient. Encourage contacts to use the Forward to a Friend link instead.
- Some inbox filters click each link in your email, and can accidentally unsubscribe people. If the contact knows they didn't forward your campaign, ask them to contact their IT or hosting service about this issue.
- Did you post your version of the campaign on a website somewhere? If someone clicks the unsubscribe link on a shared campaign, it will unsubscribe the original recipient. Set up a Mailchimp archive to protect against this.
- Another account admin may have accidentally unsubscribed them.
To resubscribe a contact, they'll have to opt back in to receive your campaigns.