Send a printed postcard campaign that people can hold in their hands or stick on the fridge. Customize the images and messaging, and use our budget and audience tools to choose your recipients.
In this article, you’ll learn how to create and send a postcard campaign in MailChimp.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- This is a beta feature. You may see some changes as we continue to test and develop it.
- To send to a contact, their first name, last name, and mailing address must be correctly formatted in your list. To learn more, check out Verify or Format the Address Field.
- If you don’t have any addresses in your list yet, you can use our GDPR-friendly signup forms to collect this information from new contacts. To learn how to edit your signup form to make sure it includes visible address fields, read Create a Hosted Signup Form.
- For GDPR compliance, you'll want to create and send to segments that only include contacts who have consented to direct mail.
A postcard campaign helps you stand out from the crowd because it gives people something tangible to remember you by. Postcards reinforce the messages you’ve sent through emails, ads, and elsewhere, which makes them a smart addition to your multichannel marketing strategy.
Now you can combine the personal touch of a postcard campaign with MailChimp’s powerful data tools. Target any of your contacts, and use postcards to share promo codes, announce an event, or just say thank you with a fun and friendly image your recipients will want to keep.
Each postcard is 4.25-by-6 inches and printed on everyday digital gloss paper stock.
We’re testing paper with recycled content and working with suppliers who share our values. We’re also committed to making our final product fully FSC-certified.
This feature is still in the early stages of testing, and we’re considering multiple ways that we can minimize and offset its impact. It’s important to us to get this right.
Where You Can Send
You can send postcards globally, but there are some countries where direct mail is limited by law. Here’s where you can send your postcard campaign.
If a country isn’t listed here, you won’t be able to send to it at this time.
Create a Postcard
To create a postcard, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
- Click Create Campaign.
- Click Create a Postcard.
- Enter a campaign name and click Begin.
This will take you to the the postcard campaign builder, where you’ll choose your budget and audience, add your content, and send.
Set Audience and Budget
You can send a postcard to any of your contacts, regardless of their email marketing status, as long as their first name, last name, and eligible mailing address are correctly formatted in your list. After you choose your audience, we’ll ask you to set your budget for the campaign. Your postcard budget includes printing, postage, and sales tax.
The actual number of postcards you can send, and the final cost of your campaign, will depend on how many addresses we find in your list, and where they’re located.
To set your audience and budget, follow these steps.
- In the To section of the postcard campaign builder, click Add Recipients.
- Click the List drop-down menu to choose the list you want to work with.
- Click the Segment drop-down menu to refine your audience. By default, this is set to target All contacts on your list, including unsubscribed and non-subscribed. To target based on a specific group, birthday, or other parameter, you’ll need to create and save a segment ahead of time.
- Enter your Budget.
The more postcards you send, the less you’ll pay per unit. Here's a breakdown of postcard pricing by quantity.
- Click Save.
After you save, we’ll scan your list for correctly formatted addresses. Then, we’ll show you the total number of postcards you can send and how much they’ll cost.
Choose a main image for the front of your postcard, and add a heading, body text, and optional brand logo to the back. You can also include a promo code from your online store. Content will appear on the preview image as you add it.
To add content to your postcard, follow these steps.
- In the Content section of the postcard campaign builder, click Add Content.
- In the Front section, click Browse and choose an image from the Content Manager.
This will be the Main image for your postcard. Here are some things to consider when you choose this image.
- We recommend a minimum image size of 1875-by-1350 px to ensure a high-quality print.
- If you want to add text to your image, use our built-in photo editor.
- We’ll automatically convert your image to CMYK color.
- Digital photos display darker in print. If your image is very dark, you may want to brighten it a little bit.
- In the Back section, enter a Heading and Body.
- Optional: If you’ve connected your online store to MailChimp, check the Include promo code box to add a promo code, then click the drop-down menus to choose a store and code.
- Optional: In the Logo section, click Browse to choose an image from the Content Manager. This will appear on the bottom left of the back of your postcard.
- Click Save.
Nice job! Now that you’ve designed your postcard, you’ll want to preview it to make sure everything looks good and prints as expected.
When your campaign goes to the printer, they’ll trim the sides so that the design extends to the edges. Our postcard preview tool shows you exactly where they’ll cut, so you can make sure important details won’t be removed.
To preview your postcard, follow these steps.
- Click the preview image for the Front or Back of your postcard.
- In the preview modal, toggle on the Show print guides slider.
You’ll see lines that mark the Safe area and Bleed area. Anything outside of the dashed line may be cut by the printer.
- Review your postcard and click Close to exit the modal.
After you choose your audience, budget, and content, you’ll be able to send your postcard campaign.
When you’re ready, click Send.
In the Prepare for launch modal, click Send Postcard to confirm.
Great job! Your campaign will display as Processing as we prepare to send your order to the printer.
To view your report, navigate to the Reports section of your MailChimp account and click the name of your postcard campaign.
Here’s what you’ll find in your postcard campaign report.
- Sending Status
This is a tracking tool that follows your campaign from order to delivery. It's currently limited to U.S. recipients.
- Order Status
The day and time your campaign was sent to the printer. This will display as “Processing” as we build your audience.
The target audience you chose for your campaign.
- Total Postcards
The number of postcards you sent. If your audience includes recipients outside the U.S., we’ll also show you a breakdown of U.S. and international sends.
Your report will also display images of the front and back of your finished postcard.