Use Mailchimp’s Social Cards to customize how your shared campaign URL displays on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Choose an image from your content to feature, and write some descriptive text to encourage clicks.
In this article, you'll learn how to enable, customize, and troubleshoot Social Cards.
Before you start
- Auto-posts to Facebook do not pull in Social Card images, but you can add images directly to your auto-post in the Campaign Builder.
- When your campaign URL is shared after you send, your Social Card will display as expected.
- Don’t use Social Cards with replicated campaigns, as they may display content from the original campaign. To reuse a previous campaign's layout, save it as a template and enable Social Cards in a new campaign.
- Images for Social Cards should be at least 600px wide. Optimal height depends on the platform. For instance, Facebook requires images to be a minimum of 200-by-200px.
- If your image is smaller than 600px wide, Facebook will create a more compact display.
- Customize your Social Cards before you test campaigns with Facebook share links or Social Share content blocks. Facebook displays the first Social Card it receives, even if it was a test.
- Social Cards can't be edited after you send, so proofread and test thoroughly.
Social Cards vs. Auto-Post
When you connect your Facebook or Twitter accounts directly to Mailchimp, you can auto-post your URL to one or both platforms at the same time you send your campaign. If you auto-post with Social Cards enabled, the way it will display depends on the content of your auto-post.
- Auto-post with images
If you add one or more images directly to your auto-post, your Social Card will not display in your auto-post.
- Auto-post without images
If you don’t add images to your auto-post, your Social Card will display in your auto-post. However, Facebook auto-posts don’t include Social Card images.
The image and text in your Social Cards should display as expected anytime your campaign URL is shared after you send.
Social Cards are not available for Instagram.
Enable and Customize Social Cards
To enable and customize your Social Cards, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
- Click the name of the campaign you want to work with.
- In the Content section of the Campaign Builder, click Edit Design.
If you're working with an RSS Campaign, continue to the Design step.
- On the Design step, click the Preview and Test drop-down menu, and choose Social Cards.
- Under Social Card Settings, toggle the Enable Customized Social Cards slider to a green checkmark.
- Under Featured Image, click Next or Back to choose an image from your campaign, or click upload an image to choose a different image from the Content Studio. Images should be at least 600px wide.
- Enter a title in the Title field. Merge tags are not supported in this field.
- Enter a description in the Write a short description about this image field to encourage people to view your campaign. Merge tags in this field will display your default merge value.
- Click the Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest tabs to see how your Social Card will look.
- Click Save & Close.
Great job! Your Social Card will display anytime you or someone else shares your campaign URL on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.