To protect against accidentally adding invalid, stale, or unuseable addresses to your subscriber list, you can import contacts as unsubscribed to create a suppression list.
Each list in your MailChimp account is separate from the others, so your suppression list won't be global. You'll need to create a separate suppression list for each list in your account.
In this article, you'll learn how to set up a suppression list from a CSV, TXT, or Excel file.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- To complete this process, you need an existing list in your account. Don't have one? Create a new list.
- Suppression lists only require an email address field. Make sure your suppression import file does not contain additional fields or subscriber information.
- This suppression list process can't move existing subscribers to the Unsubscribed category of your list. To mark existing subscribers as unsubscribed, use the bulk unsubscribe tool instead.
Import a Suppression List
To import a suppression list, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to create a suppression list for, and choose Import.
- Click CSV or tab-delimited text file to import from a CSV file or tab-delimited text file, or click Excel file.
- Click Next.
- To upload a CSV or TXT file, click Browse and choose the file from your computer. To import from Excel, copy and paste your contacts into the field provided.
- If prompted, click Continue in the Are You Sure? pop-up modal. Note this only applies to active subscriber imports. Your suppression list doesn't affect your billing tier.
- Click Next to review your import.
- Review the settings for your import and click Unsubscribed. Do not check the Auto-update my existing list box.
We'll display the method you chose for your import and a notification that your import only contains one column. You can click Edit if you need to make changes.
- Click Import.
We'll display a success message to confirm your import.
To view your suppression list at any time, open your list and click the Email Marketing column, and sort by subscription status. Or, create a new segment with these conditions: Email Marketing Status | is | Unsubscribed.