Looking for help with your list?
Mailchimp lists are now called audiences. They include the same data and functionality as before, along with valuable new insights about your contacts. As we introduce this change over time, you’ll notice fewer places where we still say list. Learn more about this change.
To protect against accidentally adding invalid stale addresses to your audience, you can import contacts as unsubscribed to create a suppression list.
Each audience in your Mailchimp account is separate from the others, so your suppression list won't be global. You'll need to create a separate suppression list for each audience in your account.
In this article, you'll learn how to set up a suppression list from a CSV, TXT, or Excel file.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Suppression lists only require an email address field. Make sure your suppression import file does not contain additional fields or subscriber information.
- This suppression list process can't mark existing contacts as unsubscribed or cleaned. To mark existing subscribers as unsubscribed, use the bulk unsubscribe tool instead.
Import a Suppression List
To import a suppression list, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Audience tab.
- If you have more than one audience, click the Current audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with.
- Click the Manage Audience drop-down and choose Import contacts.
- Click CSV or tab-delimited text file to import from a CSV file or tab-delimited text file, or click Excel file.
- Click Next.
- To upload a CSV or TXT file, click Browse and choose the file from your computer. To import from Excel, copy and paste your contacts into the field provided.
- If prompted, click Continue in the Are You Sure? pop-up modal. Note this only applies to active subscriber imports. Your suppression list doesn't affect your billing tier.
- Click Next to review your import.
- Review the settings for your import and click Unsubscribed. Do not check the Update existing contacts box.
- Click Import.
We'll display a success message to confirm your import.
To view your suppression list at any time, open your audience and click the Email Marketing column, and sort by subscription status. Or, create a new segment with these conditions: Email Marketing Status | is | Unsubscribed.