If you've already designed and coded an HTML email in another program, or received HTML from a designer, you can use the Paste in Code feature to create your email.
In this article, you'll learn how to paste HTML code to create an email.
Before you start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- This feature is available for users with a Standard plan or higher. For more information on what features are included with each plan, check out our pricing page.
- Custom-coded templates are only available in the classic builder. If you’re using the new builder, you’ll be prompted to continue with the classic builder.
- In your HTML code, all images must be hosted on a public server, and all links should be absolute paths that link directly to that public server. You can also use the content studio in your Mailchimp account to host your images and insert image URLs into your HTML code.
- This is an advanced feature and is recommended for users familiar with custom coding. Contact your developer or hire a Mailchimp Expert if you need assistance.
Paste in code
To create an email with pasted HTML code, follow these steps.
- Click the Create button.
- Click the Email drop-down, then click Regular.
- Enter a name for your email, then click Begin.
- In the Content section of the builder, click Design Email.
- On the Select a template step, click the Code Your Own tab.
- Choose Paste in Code.
- If you're using the new builder, click Apply, then click Yes, continue to Classic in the pop-up modal.
- Paste your HTML into the editor, then click Save.
Here are some important CSS options and code snippets you'll find on the Settings tab of the editing pane.
- CSS Inliner
Check the Automatic CSS Inliner box to help your code display more accurately in a variety of inboxes.
- Unsubscribe Link
Copy the unsubscribe link and paste it into your code. The *|UNSUB|* merge tag is required in all emails.
- Referral badge
Copy the Referral badge merge tag and paste it in your code where you want the badge to appear. The *|REWARDS|* merge tag is required for free accounts. Click Change Image to choose between a light or dark image background.
- Code Editor Theme
Click the Editor theme drop-down menu to change the appearance of the code editor.