Use the ad builder to build Google remarketing ads to bring people back to your website. We'll use the Google Ad Display Network to show your products to people who visited your site or landing page. This can help you get more web traffic and conversions.
Depending on your plan, you may not have access to Google remarketing ads. To find out what features are included in each plan, check out our pricing page.
In this article, you'll learn how to create your own Google remarketing ad through Mailchimp.
Before you start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Google remarketing ads are available to users who publish a landing page, or connect a supported e-commerce store or website.
- To find out if your store supports this feature, visit the Integrations page. If you’ve already connected your e-commerce integration, make sure it's up to date.
- If you’re using a landing page in a Google remarketing ad, make sure to accept our additional terms on your landing page’s Settings and Tracking section. You’ll only need to accept the terms one time.
- Be sure to disable ad blockers in your web browser to make sure Mailchimp's ad builder runs smoothly.
- Google remarketing ads have a unique billing system. You'll set your weekly budget and purchase your ad, which will continue to run until you decide to cancel it.
- Google’s responsive ads can show up in different formats. Depending on placement, your ad might display without an image.
- Be sure to familiarize yourself with Google's personalized advertising policies before you begin. Google takes these issues very seriously, and can shut down your ability to post to their network if your content is found in violation
- If your ad doesn't fit Google ad requirements, Google can reject your ad.
Start making your ad
To get started with your Google remarketing ads, you'll choose which store or landing page you want to promote, and set your ad budget.
To define your audience and budget, follow these steps.
- Click Automations.
- Click Retargeting ads.
- Type a campaign name and use the drop-down menu to choose the connected store or published landing page you want to promote.
- Click Begin to enter the ad builder.
- In the pop-up modal, click to accept the terms and conditions.
- In the Budget step, click Edit Budget to review your weekly budget.
The default budget is $21 per week, but you can go as low as $7 per week.
- Use the Amount field to set your weekly budget.
You'll be billed this amount once per week until you end the ad.
- Click Save.
Next, you'll navigate to the Content step to start designing your ad.
Create your content
Your Google remarketing campaign can advertise up to 5 products of your choice. Each ad will display one product at a time. If you’re retargeting visitors to a connected store, you can also choose to advertise your top 5 sellers.
In this tutorial, we'll show you how to create a campaign with 5 custom-picked products.
To add your content, follow these steps.
- In the Content step, click Create Your Own
Ads for landing page visitors will only show the Create Your Own button.
- In the Image and Square image placeholders, click Browse Images to choose an image for your ad.
If you also want to include a logo, click Browse Images in the optional Logo placeholder.
- In the fields provided, include your first ad's link, short headline, long headline, message, and business name. The headline is the first line of your ad. The short headline will appear in small ad spaces, and the long headline will appear in larger ads.
Be sure to avoid commonly rejected text like all caps, too many exclamation points, and curse words.
- Click the next ad in the group, and repeat steps 2-4 until all ads you want to include are customized.
- Click Save & Preview.
Preview your ads
After you choose text and images for your ad, check out your ad preview. Preview mode shows examples of what your ad could look like in few common placements. After it's published, your ad will show in a lot more places and layouts.
To preview your ads, follow these steps.
- Click View more sizes to enter preview mode.
- Click each of your products to see your previews.
These previews show what your ads might look like on the web when they're published, but they typically won't appear multiple times on a single page.
- Click X to return to your ad, and use the Ad Builder to make additional changes.
When you're done, return to the preview mode for a final review.
Submit your ad
After your content is designed and reviewed, it's time to submit!
To submit your ad, follow these steps.
- Confirm or enter your billing information in the sidebar, and enter your CVV.
- Click Submit Ads.
- In the pop-up modal, click Confirm.
Now that your ad is set to go, read about what happens after submission, and what you can expect to see in your report and your weekly bill.
End an ad
To permanently stop an ad from running, you can cancel it. After your ad is canceled, please allow us 72 hours to send you an ad credit for any remaining unspent budget.
To cancel an ad, follow these steps.
- Click Campaigns.
- Click All campaigns.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the ad you want to work with, and choose End.
- In the pop-up modal, type END CAMPAIGN to confirm, and click End Campaign.