Export groups from Google contacts, then import them into groups in your Mailchimp audience to target specific subscribers.
In this article, you'll learn how to import groups from Google Contacts.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- To add groups from your Google contacts into groups in Mailchimp, you'll import each group from Google separately.
- Follow Gmail's instructions to export a Google Contact group, and save the file in CSV format.
- Set up Mailchimp groups for each corresponding Google contact group you want to add to Mailchimp.
Import to a Group in Mailchimp
Google only allows you to export one group at a time, so you'll need to import each export file into Mailchimp individually.
To import a group into Mailchimp, follow theses steps.
- Navigate to the Audience tab.
- If you have more than one audience, click the Current audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with.
- Click the Manage Audience drop-down and choose Import contacts.
- Choose CSV or tab-delimited text file.
If your last import was a CSV with the same columns, you can click Use settings from last import, which will allow you to skip steps 8-10.
- Click Continue To Setup.
- Click Browse and choose the file from your computer.
- Click Continue To Match to go to the next step and match the columns in your import file to the fields in your Mailchimp audience.
If your import file contains only an email column, we’ll skip you to Organize (step 13).
- We’ll automatically match some columns in your import file. For example, the column that contains email addresses will match the required Email Address field.
- Click Edit to choose a different field type from the drop-down menu. To create a new field, click the drop-down menu and choose Create a new field.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 for all unmatched columns. You must match or skip all columns to complete your import.
- After you're finished matching, we'll display a success message.
- Click Continue To Organize.
- Optional: If you want to assign tags to all of your imported contacts, click the plus (+) icon in the Tag all contacts section and choose or create tags as needed.
- To add your imported contacts to groups, navigate to the Add contacts to groups section and check the box next to each group that applies.
You’ll only see this option if you have groups in your audience.
- In the Choose status of these contacts section, click the drop-down menu to choose the type of contacts you’re about to import.
The available statuses for contacts are:
- In the Update existing contacts section, leave the box unchecked unless your import includes contacts who are already in your audience.
- Click Continue To Review to confirm your import settings
- Click Import.
After you finish your import, you'll be taken to the contact table. We'll display a status message to show you the progress of your import. Repeat these steps for each group you want to import to your Mailchimp audience. We'll email you when each import is complete.