Use Mailchimp Inbox to organize your conversations and coordinate your replies with other users in your account. Organize your messages with labels, internal comments and other familiar inbox tools.
In this article, you’ll learn how to view and manage Inbox messages.
Before you start
- Make sure you’re familiar with how Mailchimp Inbox works. To learn more, check out Set Up Your Mailchimp Inbox. For mobile devices, check out View and Manage Inbox Messages on Mobile.
- Your account user level must be Manager or higher to use Inbox.
- Free users can reply to Inbox messages from a campaign, feedback from a survey, or if a contact writes in. To message contacts without an interaction from them first, you’ll need a paid plan.
- Outbound messages count towards your user's monthly send limit.
- A direct message sent to your Inbox address will only appear if it’s from a contact in your audience.
- Attachments must be less than 25MB in size. PDF, JPG, PNG, and GIF are the allowed file types in Inbox.
Access your Inbox
To access your Inbox messages, follow these steps.
- Click the Audience icon.
- Choose Inbox.
- If you have more than one audience, click the audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with.
Nice job! As new messages arrive in your Inbox, we’ll organize them based on their source and their status. The source is where they come from: Campaign replies, Contact Form, Surveys, and so on. To learn how to add or remove sources, check out Set Up Your Mailchimp Inbox.
The status helps you track which messages you or your account teammates have responded to: To Do, Done, or Trash.
You can also create custom labels for extra organization.
To add a label, follow these steps.
- In the Label menu, click Manage.
- In the Manage your Message Labels pop-up, click Add label and enter a name.
- Repeat step 2 for any new labels you want to add.
- Click Update Labels.
Your new labels will appear in the Inbox sidebar.
View and manage messages
Click a message preview to view it, as well as any associated replies. From here, you can compose a new reply, mark it as done, or choose from a number of other options designed to help you organize your Inbox and collaborate with your fellow account users.
Here’s an overview of the different options you have when you view a message.
- Tag Contact
Apply or remove tags to a contact based on how your conversation is going or what they might need.
- Mark as Trash
Moves a message thread to Trash. Messages will not be permanently removed from your Inbox unless a contact is permanently deleted from an audience.
- Add Comment
Use comments to share notes about the email thread with other account users. Account users can reply to existing comments for internal conversations and tag other Mailchimp users to bring attention to a message. When a comment is added, users on the account with Inbox notifications enabled receive an email notification about the comment.
Apply or remove labels to organize your message threads by topic or with related details.
- Mark as Done
Moves a message thread to Done. When a conversation is finished, this gets it out of the way.
Send a new message
You can reply to messages in your Inbox, or you can start a brand new conversation with anyone in your audience. You can also message people directly from their contact profile or survey response.
Open a message thread and click Reply to continue an ongoing conversation, or click the Compose icon to start a brand new conversation with someone in your audience.
After you click the icon, type the email address of someone in your audience and click Send Email.
Then, add a Subject, edit your From name as needed, and enter and format your message. If you want to include a file, click Add attachment and choose one from your computer.
Last, use the toggle to choose whether to enable the opt-out footer.
From the contact profile
You can also directly send a message to a contact from their profile page. Click on the contact’s email address, or click the Actions drop-down and choose Send Message.
This will launch a new message window in Inbox.
From a survey response
If you’re running a Mailchimp survey, you can use Inbox to reply to the people who complete it.
If the person who took the survey provided their email address, you can hover over it and click Send Message.
You can also click Send Message from a specific text response.
View current Inbox activity
With Inbox, you can see what your teammates are doing in real time. If another account user logs in and views the Inbox, you’ll see that they’re online, what message they’re reading, and whether they’re typing out a response. This helps prevent duplicate replies.