Looking for help with your list?
Mailchimp lists are now called audiences. They include the same data and functionality as before, along with valuable new insights about your contacts. As we introduce this change over time, you’ll notice fewer places where we still say list. Learn more about this change.
After a customer makes their first purchase in your connected store, follow up with them to say thanks, ask for feedback, or send them product recommendations. The first purchase automation can help you make a great first impression with your new customers and keep them engaged from day one.
In this article, you'll learn how to add a first purchase automation.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- The From email address you specify for your automation is used on each email in the series. To change the From email address on an individual email, manually update the email's settings.
- You'll need to connect your store in your Mailchimp account before you can create this automation.
- On Forever Free and Pay As You Go Plans, a credit is used for each email the automation sends to a contact, including test emails.
Create an Automation
You'll build this automation by completing a series of tasks, just like you would with a regular campaign.
To create the first purchase automation, follow these steps.
- Launch the Automation Builder.
- Enter a campaign name and click the drop-down menu to choose a list.
- Click Begin.
Now we'll take you to the Emails step where you'll design each email in your marketing automation.
In the Emails step of the Automation Builder, you'll add or remove emails in your automation and design each email's content. You can also edit each individual email's settings.
The first purchase automation includes three emails, but you can add or remove emails, or change the settings for each. The default automation features emails with the following triggers.
- One hour after subscribers purchase anything from your store
- 10 days after subscribers are sent previous email
- 20 days after subscribers are sent previous email
Design an Email
- Click Design Email.
- On the Setup step, enter a name for your email, then enter the Email subject, Preview Text, From name, and From email address for the specific email you're working with.
To display the numbered position of the email in the automation, use Automation merge tags in your subject line.
- Click Next.
- On the Template step of the Email Designer, select your template.
- On the Design step of the Email Designer, design your email. Be sure to preview and test each of your emails.
- Click Save and Return to Workflow, to return to your automation timeline.
To change the trigger, delay, schedule, segment, or activity settings, or to reorder emails in your automation, edit the automation on the Emails step of the Automation Builder.
- Repeat these steps for each email in your automation.
Edit Workflow Settings
Your overall automation workflow settings include your Workflow name, From name, From email address, and tracking options. To access your workflow settings, navigate to the Emails step of the Automation Builder and click Edit Workflow Settings.
Confirm and Start
Now that you've designed your emails and configured your workflow settings, it's time to double check everything and start your automation!
- On the Confirm step, review the checklist provided and click Resolve or Edit to make any changes to your automation.
- When you're ready, click Start Workflow to start sending your automation.