7 different logo styles
Logo design is about more than finding the right color for you. Instead, there are many different styles to consider, including the following:
A text-image combination logo is a popular option, and many major brands use it. The text-image combo combines visual elements and words, typically with the name of the brand or company below the visual. These logos are ideal for building brand awareness.
Remember, new customers who have never heard of your business before won’t be able to figure out the meaning behind a completely visual logo. Therefore, you can add the brand name to the logo to help them start building associations with your brand and the visual elements of your branding. This is especially important for small brands and businesses that don’t have national or international recognition or startups.
Wordmark logos are another common style in which the visual is made up of the brand name with stylized letters and formatting. Many brands, such as HBO, Amazon, and Coca Cola use this branding style because it’s easy to understand. Instead of making customers guess what your brand is trying to convey, you can simply tell them your name is a stylistic way to increase brand awareness.
Monogram logos use a brand’s initials to create a logo. However, unlike other types of logo styles, they interlace the letters. One of the most recognizable brands that does this is CHANEL, with two Cs intertwined. These types of logos are best for companies with two or three words in their brand names because the intertwined letters can easily look messy if you use too many of them.
Letterform logos are another type of logo design that utilizes the brand’s name as a visual element. One of the most popular brands that use letterform is Netflix, with red lettering and a black background. Letterform is a good logo idea for brands that want to use their names in their logos and keep it simple and easy to read and understand.
Pictorial logos are symbols and graphic elements that represent a brand. For example, Apple’s logo is the well-known apple with a bite taken out of it. Pictorial logos are great for brands that have already established their brand identity and know that customers will easily recognize them.
If your business has a mascot, consider using it in your logo. Your mascot is another visual branding element that can make your brand more personable, especially if your brand story involves a unique personality. But, of course, if your brand doesn’t have a mascot, you shouldn’t create one for the sole purpose of using it on your logo because it can confuse customers.
Negative space logos are simple logo design ideas that can help your brand stand out. It uses negative space to create a symbol or text and can be as subtle as you want it to be. Negative space logos are timeless and look good for almost any brand, so if you want to make your brand look creative with a touch of simplicity, this type of logo might be right for you.
It’s important to note that these are just a few logo ideas to choose from. You can work with a professional graphic designer or marketing agency to learn more options to help your brand stand out.
Graphic designers vs. free logo makers
Ultimately, logos are a type of graphic design, so you can work with a professional or create your own. Your logo appears on most, if not all, of your marketing collateral and materials.
It will showcase your brand’s personality on everything from your website to billboards, flyers, and digital advertisements, so it’s essential to consider using a graphic designer who can help you take your branding to the next level. Should you use a free logo maker or work with a graphic designer? Let’s weigh the pros and cons.
Working with a graphic designer
A graphic designer can help you design a logo for your business with elements that can help you stand out. When working with a graphic designer, you have access to a professional who has created logos before and knows how to communicate effectively with various visual elements.
- Professionalism & experience: A graphic designer has designed logos before and can help you create the perfect logo for your business by asking you the right questions to get an idea of your unique personality. In addition, they’ll work with you directly to make your ideas a reality.
- Better design: While a free logo maker can help you create a professional logo, a graphic designer will ensure your logo makes a good first impression using the right design elements. In addition, graphic designers with experience designing logos know what works and what doesn’t, especially in marketing, which can help you create a more professional logo that attracts more customers.
- Original work: If you truly want your logo to stand out, it must be original. While there are many different styles to choose from, you don’t want to pick a font or visual element anyone can find and purchase online. A graphic designer will ensure your logo is unique to your brand to help you build your identity.
- Cost: The only actual con of working with a graphic designer is that it’s more expensive than using a free logo maker. However, the expense will be well worth it because a graphic designer can ensure your brand logo looks professional and will be timeless, so you won’t have to redesign it in a few years as your business evolves.
Using a free logo maker
A free logo maker can help you create a unique logo from scratch without hiring a professional designer. However, for many growing businesses, a free logo will eventually have to be designed as your business evolves.
- Affordable: Free logo makers are more affordable than graphic designers because they’re software. With these logo makers, you don’t have to invest any money, but they can be time-consuming, especially if you don’t know which type of logo you want to create.
- Ease of use: Free logo makers are easy to use for anyone. You don’t have to be a graphic designer to create a logo for your business, and many logo makers are user-friendly and allow you to create a logo faster than working with a professional graphic designer.
- Unprofessional: Unfortunately, most small business owners aren’t graphic designers and don’t know current trends or timeless designs that can help them stand out. Instead, they may design a logo based on what they like, which may not resonate with their audience. In addition, logo generators can lack a graphic designer's professional finish and style, ignoring design principles that make your brand look more credible.
- Unoriginal: When working with a free logo maker, you’re limited by the different tools you can use. Ultimately, you can find different shapes and fonts, but you won’t be able to go above and beyond to make your logo unique. Meanwhile, you can have something completely original when working with a graphic designer.
- Can be copied: As we’ve mentioned, logo makers don’t create original work. It’s likely someone has already made a logo that looks like yours because you’re limited in the different shapes and fonts you can use. If your logo looks too similar to another business, it can harm your reputation and confuse customers.
There are many ways to have a logo designed for your business. However, in most cases, it may be a matter of your budget. You can create a logo with a free logo maker and upgrade it by working with a professional graphic designer once your business grows.