Mailchimp for BigCommerce is a free integration that adds your customers and their order information to your Mailchimp list. Use BigCommerce purchase data to send targeted email campaigns with product recommendations, and turn on e-commerce tracking to measure campaign ROI.
In this article, you'll learn how to connect or disconnect Mailchimp for BigCommerce.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Mailchimp for BigCommerce adds your e-commerce customers and their purchase data to your chosen Mailchimp list.
- Pop-up forms, product retargeting emails, and abandoned cart emails require the latest version of Mailchimp for BigCommerce.
- If you create an Order Notifications automation, you'll need to disable your corresponding notifications in BigCommerce to avoid sending duplicate emails to your customers. We recommend you choose not to use our Order Confirmation notification, because the corresponding notification cannot be turned off in BigCommerce.
- To disable the "I'd like to receive your newsletter" checkbox that appears at the bottom of your store checkout page, go to the Newsletter Settings section of your BigCommerce dashboard.
- To view the e-commerce features supported by this integration, visit the BigCommerce listing in your account.
- This integration is compatible with our API version 3.0.
How it Works
Mailchimp for BigCommerce finds your store visitors and sends their email addresses to your Mailchimp list. Customers will be added to your list as subscribed contacts, eligible to receive any type of email marketing, and their order information will also appear on the Activity Feed in their contact profile. To view only e-commerce information, click the All Activity drop-down menu, and choose E-commerce.
Guest checkouts that don’t have accounts at your store will be added as non-subscribed contacts, and can only be sent transactional emails, like abandoned cart emails and order notifications, or ads.
Connect Mailchimp for BigCommerce
To fully install the integration, you'll need to connect your store to Mailchimp, select the list you want to sync with BigCommerce, choose your sync settings, and install scripts to enable Mailchimp e-commerce features.
Connect to Mailchimp
To connect your store to Mailchimp, follow these steps.
- Log in to your BigCommerce store.
- Click Apps.
- Click Marketplace.
- Search or browse to locate Mailchimp, and click the Mailchimp logo.
- Click Connect.
- Input your Mailchimp login credentials, and click Log In.
Great job! Now that you’ve connected your BigCommerce account to Mailchimp, you’re ready to choose the Mailchimp list you want synced to your store.
Choose a List
To choose a list, follow these steps.
- Click the List drop-down menu, and choose the name of the list where you want to sync your customers.
- Click Next.
Choose Sync Settings
After you sync your list, you’ll map your BigCommerce data points to your Mailchimp list fields, so that we can be sure to sync information to the correct place.
To choose your sync settings, follow these steps.
- Click the drop down menus to map your BigCommerce data points to your available Mailchimp merge tags.
- Click Sync Now.
To finish, you’ll add a script to your BigCommerce store. Where you’ll add the script varies depending on the type of theme your store uses. If you need assistance, contact your developer or store admin. After you’ve added the script, click Validate Script Installation to verify that you’ve set everything up correctly and complete installation.
That’s it! After you install Mailchimp for BigCommerce, you can view your account settings and use Mailchimp’s e-commerce features to send e-commerce automations to your customers, add a pop-up signup form to your store, or send order notifications.
View Site Details
In your Mailchimp account, you can visit the Connected Sites page to view the site details for your store, which allows you to quickly see status of the integration or add and manage e-commerce tools.
To view your site details, follow these steps.
From here, you'll be able to view your synced list, or add and monitor e-commerce automations that use data from your connected BigCommerce store.
After you connect to BigCommerce, you can do a lot with the the data you collect, like build segments, send automations, track campaign purchases, and view results.
Find out everything Mailchimp has to offer with our guides.
Disconnect Mailchimp for BigCommerce
To disconnect Mailchimp for BigCommerce, follow these steps.
- In your BigCommerce account, click Apps.
- Click My Apps.
- Search or browse to locate Mailchimp, and click Uninstall.