Mailchimp is a marketing automation platform that helps you share email and ad campaigns with clients, customers, and other interested parties. Our approach to marketing focuses on healthy list management practices, beautifully designed campaigns, and powerful data analysis. We're here to help you become an expert marketer. Ready to get started?
In this article, you'll learn how to start using Mailchimp to create awesome campaigns, and we'll provide some helpful resources to use as you work.
Before You Start
Before you jump into the tasks ahead, here are a few helpful things to know.
- We offer a number of online resources to provide help and insights about our tools and features. Check out our searchable Knowledge Base if you want to learn how something works, or if you run into any trouble.
Here's an overview of the tasks we'll cover in this article.
Set Up Your Account
When you sign up for a Mailchimp account, you'll enter your name and email address, and we'll send you an activation email. When you receive the activation email, click the link to activate your account.
The next time you log in to our website, we'll walk you through the rest of the setup steps. You'll input profile details, such as your website and physical address, and connect your social media accounts. If you sell products online, you'll have the option to connect your store to Mailchimp.
To learn more about account creation, read the article Create an Account.
Set Up Your List
The foundation of great marketing is a clean, up-to-date list of contacts. When you create a Mailchimp account, we'll use your setup details to automatically generate your list for you. You can edit the default information for your list if you need to, or immediately start adding contacts.
Mailchimp was designed so you should only need one list. We have a number of helpful list management tools so you can organize and separate contacts. If you do decide to create another list, keep in mind that data isn't shared across lists, and contacts that are more than one list will count separately toward your subscriber limit.
Customize Your Signup Form
If you don't have any contacts yet, don't worry! We'll automatically generate a signup form for your list, which you can post on your website or Facebook page, so you can start collecting contacts right away. Plus, we give you lots of options to customize the design of your signup form, so it'll fit your brand.
To access the Form Builder and customize your signup form, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to work with and choose Signup forms.
- Select Form builder.
- Click the Forms and response emails drop-down menu, and choose which form you want to edit.
- Click the Design it tab.
- Click through the Page, Body, Forms, or MonkeyRewards tabs to review the customization options. Use the fields and drop-down menus to make any changes you want to the styles, colors, and fields. We'll save your changes automatically. When you're done, click Save & Close. Voila!
For in-depth instructions, read the article How the Form Builder Works.
Create a Campaign
Next, you'll craft your first campaign. A campaign is a message that you share through email, ads, or other channels. In Mailchimp, most users start with a regular email campaign.
To create a regular email campaign, follow these steps.
- Launch the Campaign Builder.
- Enter a campaign name and choose a list.
- Click Begin.
- On the Recipients step of the Campaign Builder, choose a list from the drop-down menu and click Next.
- On the Setup step, input your Email subject, Preview Text, From name, and From email address. Select tracking tools, connect social media, and configure advanced settings from the available options.
- When you're finished, click Next.
- On the Template step, choose one of our template types.
- In the Design step, you'll input and customize your campaign content.
- When you're done designing your campaign, click Next to navigate to the Confirm page.
On the Confirm page, we'll make sure that all of the steps have been completed and alert you to anything that might need your attention before sending. Schedule your campaign to send at a later date or time, or send it right away.
Designing a campaign in Mailchimp can be fun, but also complex, because we offer a lot of customization options. Take some time to get used to the controls and always plan your campaigns before you start designing them. You'll be an expert email, ad, landing page, and postcard campaign designer before you know it.
View Your Campaign Reports
You've clicked Send, but it's not over yet! A key component of successful marketing is tracking audience engagement, so you can provide more of what your contacts want and less of what they don't.
The next time you login to Mailchimp after sending an email campaign, you'll see how many contacts opened, clicked, or unsubscribed from your recent campaigns, right on your Dashboard. Click Reports for more detailed information, and to download, share, or print your campaign reports.
Mailchimp's open- and click-tracking data tells you how many people looked at your campaign, which links they clicked, and other information, like their geolocation. Integrate your Google Analytics account with Mailchimp for more in-depth reporting.
When you're familiar with how to use our basic tools, review our optional advanced features, to take your marketing efforts to the next level.